White Wings of Freedom by Redzx6r2k2
[Reviews - 3] - Table of Contents - [Report This]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
White Wings of Freedom

Part 4

By Redzx6r2k2

As promised, Lieutenant Khatiir and what remained of his squad guided Ken and Jun out of the capitol city. They had left the two wounded and one well-armed soldier behind with Alim in the restaurant, then descended below the city into the drainage system to evade the Galactor patrols. As it turned out, they were not the only ones to do so– they ran into not less than four other Ankiri platoons-- or their remnants, anyway-- seeking refuge from the dragnet in the streets above. Khatiir informed them of their plans; the message would get out to the individual units that succeeded in escaping Galactor’s assault.

The last group they encountered provided some unwelcome news, however. Word on the streets was that Galactor was very interested in locating two persons matching Ken and Jun’s descriptions. Somehow Katse knew they were here and a certain element of surprise had been lost.

They emerged from the drainage canal at the western edge of the city, along the banks of a river that snaked out of the mountains from the north. It had taken most of the night for them to travel this far; the glow of the morning sun could just be seen lighting the sky off to the east.

“This is as far as we go,” Khatiir told Ken and Jun. “Cross the river at the bridge there–“ he pointed downstream, “– and you can pick up the road heading west. It is not heavily traveled. With any luck, Galactor is not patrolling out this far yet. Take it about ten kilometers to the crossroads I showed you on the map. That will take you straight to Nusair’s estate.”

He handed Ken a fold of paper. “When you get there, give him this. It is your introduction to him. I think he will help you.”

“Thank you,” Ken told him.

“Good luck to you and your men,” Jun wished him.

“We will wait for your signal,” Khatiir told them, “for as long as we can. After that, well, we’re not going to sit around waiting to be captured.” He signaled to his men to return to the aquifer and back to the city.

Ken and Jun made their way carefully down the steep, rocky embankment towards the river. A short way downstream was a narrow bridge. Daylight was coming soon and it would be best to cross while they would still be somewhat concealed by darkness, just in case there were Galactor in the area. Although the majority of their troops would no doubt be focused in the city and other strategically important areas, if Katse really was searching for them specifically, he might place guards even on such minor crossings as this.

They silently crept up along the bridge footings and peered over the edge across the roadway. There was no one to be seen in either direction. Jun let out a sigh of relief.

Ken pulled out the map that Khatiir gave him. “We have about 15 kilometers from here. Ten klics down this road, then, just before we reach the next town we turn off onto a private road for another four or five klics.”

“The sun will be well up by then,” Jun said. She looked around at the somewhat barren landscape. “There’s not much cover out here, Ken.”

“No, there’s not.” He re-examined the map. “If we take a direct route, it looks like we’ll stay in the flats. The terrain shouldn’t be too difficult but we’ll be off the roads, at least. We can still make good time.”

“We’d better get moving,” Jun looked east. The glow of the sun was growing stronger as it began to break over the nearby mountains, its glow beginning to outshine that of the fires in the capitol city. “If we hurry, we can make it in about an hour maybe.”

The farm that Nusair had retired to was less of a farm than an estate. Ken and Jun crouched behind a small rise to survey the area unseen. The large white stone main house was more like a mansion, with several smaller guest houses, a stable and areas for working livestock. Farm and house hands could be seen scurrying about to complete chores, as if unaware of the conflict that was now engulfing their country. There was no sign of Galactor.

Deciding that a less suspicious approach to the estate would be best, Ken and Jun walked up to the main gate. Although they could have easily slipped past the house attendants and made their way inside, that would not leave a favorable impression on their hopeful-to-be benefactor. At the main gate they were stopped, as expected, and questioned. Ken handed over the letter of introduction Khatiir had given them and waited while the servant checked for permission to take them inside. After a brief moment he returned and led them into the main house.

Ken and Jun were directed into a large study. Three of the four walls were lined with bookshelves; most of the volumes looked very old and probably were first prints. Several pieces of original artwork adorned the walls. Looking somewhat out of place, there was a small television on the desk near the center of the room. The study appeared vacant.

“Master Nusair,” the attendant announced, “these are the two visitors sent by Khatiir.”

A small, wizened man stood up from the large winged chair in the room. He was so small that Ken and Jun couldn’t see him from the back of the chair. His age was difficult to guess- although his face looked very old his eyes shone with the fire of youth. He wore traditional Ankiri robes and headdress. He came around to stand in front of Ken and Jun, studying them for a moment.

“Have water brought to our guests,” he directed the attendant. “They appear thirsty.”

“Yes, Master Nusair.” The man bowed and backed out of the room.

Nusair gestured toward two other chairs across from his desk. “Please, sit. I understand you have traveled some distance to come here.”

“Thank you, sir,” Ken said as he and Jun sat where Nusair indicated. “I am Ken, this is Jun. Lieutenant Khatiir hoped you might be able to help us. We were here to assist your president when we got caught in the invasion... ”

The old man waved a hand toward the television. “I know who you are. For some reason, Galactor is most interested in finding you. There is quite a reward on your heads.” Sensing the instant tension from the two youths, he laughed lightly. “Oh, don’t worry. I do not plan to turn you over to them. I do wonder, however, why two foreign youngsters, alone in my country, would attract so much interest from Galactor.”

“We were sent by ISO at the request of President Ahmed,” Ken explained. “He knew that Galactor had infiltrated the military and government and was planning to seize power. He underestimated how quickly.”

“Not surprising. Ahmed is about as sharp as a rubber ball. Very popular with the people, but not very bright,” Nusair said. “But that still doesn’t explain why Katse has such an interest in finding the two of you. But I think I know why.”

Pressing a button under the top of the desk a hidden doorway slid open in one wall, leading into a very sophisticated communications center. He led them inside. Jun was instantly intrigued by the equipment; Nusair had a state of the art communications and security setup. She could have a lot of fun in here.

“I never really liked retirement much,” he said in an offhanded manner. Activating a viewscreen, he accessed the security tape of the attack on the Presidential compound. It showed the attack on the rooftop, Jun falling, Ken going after her and Joe taking the President aboard the Phoenix just as it came underdirect attack.

“I presume that is you two there,” Nusair said in a matter of fact voice. “Don’t worry. I am not interested in either revealing who you are or turning you over to Galactor. The enemy of my enemy, as they say...”

“You seem to have kept up with things despite your retirement,” Ken said somewhat warily.

Nusair shrugged. “I was head of the security council before pursuing a parliament position. Old habits die hard, I suppose. Although I have little respect for our current president, I have no desire to fall under Galactor rule.”

“The coup started while we were meeting with the President to discuss how to reveal the traitors in the government,” Jun said. “We didn’t have a chance to intervene.”

“And of course, ISO doesn’t want the country to fall under Galactor control any more than I do, although for different reasons. Our uranium deposits are too important to risk losing.”

“That is not the only reason, sir,” Ken said, “But it is an important one. I don’t think it is too late to stop Galactor. Galactor must have a base not too far from the capitol. The attack was too large and swift– if they had come in from a distance, we would have detected them.”

“Reasonable assumption,” Nusair agreed.

“My plan is to locate the base,” Ken informed him, “and Khatiir is working on organizing the resistance forces in the capitol. If we can attack both fronts simultaneously, Galactor could still be defeated.”

If you can find the Galactor base,” Nusair pointed out.

“I will contact our base and see if their surveillance has turned up any leads,” Ken said.

“And I will see what I can turn up through my contacts but that may take some time,” Nusair told them. “With standard communications either cut off or monitored, I will have to get creative. For now, the both of you look like it has been a while since you rested or had anything to eat. Please allow my staff to make you comfortable.”

“Your hospitality is most gracious, sir,” Jun thanked him. “We are grateful for any help you can give us.”


Dr. Nambu was very worried. He had been reviewing all of the intelligence reports coming in from Ankiristan. Aside from the fact that Galactor had initiated simultaneous attacks on both the capitol and major military installations, Galactor was apparently aware that Ken and Jun were still on the ground. They had commandeered the Ankiri radio and television stations and were broadcasting, in addition to the usual propaganda, a “wanted” list that included Ken and Jun. Although the civilian descriptions given were not entirely accurate, they were close enough that Nambu was concerned. He fought the temptation to attempt to contact them; by doing so, he could give away their identities if they were in danger.

Nambu felt more than the concern of a commanding officer; he had raised all five Kagaku Ninja Tai the majority of their lives.And even though he wasn’t really their father, they were the closest thing to children he actually had.

When his communicator beeped unexpectedly, Nambu jumped to his feet and nearly tripped on the area rug under his desk.

“This is Nambu.”

“Nambu Hakase,” came Ken’s voice, “this is Gatchaman.”

“Thank God you’re okay,” Nambu let out a sigh of relief. “What is your status?”

“We are currently at the estate of a retired parliament official named Nusair to the west of the city. He has agreed to help us. Did the GodPhoenix make it back okay?”

“Nusair...Nusair... Yes, I remember him. Tough man. The GodPhoenix returned safely but it will be at least another day before it is airworthy again. The hull was severely damaged. Galactor has also mobilized a strong perimeter defense against outside assistance and is looking specifically for you and Jun. Do you think you can you make it to the border?”

“We are going to try to locate the Galactor base from here,” Ken told him. “I have been in contact with the local military resisting Galactor and they are attempting to reorganize. My plan is to attack the Galactor base and have them start a counteroffensive in the capitol at the same time, sort of a reverse coup. Do you have any information to suggest where their base might be?”

“Joe’s working on it.” A light began to flash on his computer console. “Ken, there is a trace being attempted on this communication.”

“We’ll contact you later. Gatchaman out.”

Nambu snapped a toggle on his desktop. “Joe, Jinpei, Ryu, report to the mission briefing room,” he ordered. Nambu suddenlt felt re-energized. Although Ken’s plan was risky, it was perhaps the best solution available to them.

Ken and Jun joined Nusair for a late lunch after a shower and brief rest. Ken was relieved that Jun had been able to get some rest; although she would never admit it, he could tell she was pushing hard to keep going once they had made it out of the city.

The old politician had been busy making contacts with his allies in the capitol city and elsewhere. Nusair felt a fire he had not felt in a long time; it was the preparation for battle and the sense of purpose that had been lacking since his retirement. Even though the stakes were high, he found it was almost enjoyable.

“I have been told that high ranking officials and officers are being taken away for interrogation. Troop convoys have been seen driving north to the mountains,” he told them as he sipped his coffee. “Their base might be there.”

“It’s our best lead,” Ken agreed. “There is a lot of rough country to hide in up there.”

“We could intercept a prisoner transfer,” Jun suggested. “They might lead us right to the base.”

“As I recall, there is only one major highway heading into the northern range from the capitol,” Nusair said. “It would just be a matter of waiting for one to come along.”

“It would not be too hard to slip aboard a convoy,” Ken agreed. “Galactor has probably relaxed its guard some now.”

“The only problem will be to get you there,” Nusair pointed out. “Don’t forget that Galactor is looking for you and although their physical descriptions of you aren’t very good, they are good enough. As non-natives, I am sorry to say that you do stand out a bit.”

He stopped as a servant stepped up to him and quietly passed a note to him. He frowned slightly as he read it, then raised a finger to signal the messenger not to leave just yet.

“It would seem that a troop detachment is on its way here,” he announced. “Apparently, we have attracted the attention of Galactor.”

“We will leave immediately,” Ken said. “If Galactor discovers that you have helped us...”

“I am not afraid of Galactor,” Nusair said with derision, “I am an old man, what can they do to me? But I am concerned for my people and my country and I believe I can still be of use to them.” He turned to the messenger. “Tell the stablemaster to saddle two horses, with gear for overnight travel and topographical maps of the high country. Quickly!”

The servant bowed and hurried out.

“It is possible Galactor traced my signal back to Crescent Base,” Ken admitted. “I thought we disconnected before they could get a fix on it.”

“They probably only traced it to a general region,” Jun pointed out. “Their detection equipment is no better than our own. Your transmission was too short to get an accurate lock. For all they know, it could be anywhere in twenty square kilometers.”

“The problem is, there isn’t much else out here,” Nusair said. “Just a small village six kilometers from here. It won’t take them long to search it.”

“Will you and your people be able to deal with the Galactor if they come here?” Jun asked.

“Don’t worry, young lady,” he laughed. “As a politician, I know how to lie well. You will have to hurry, though, if you are to make it into the foothills before the soldiers arrive. You will need to travel due north until you cross the Zahir river. There you will need to turn east until you come to the main highway leading north into the mountains. It is a good day and a half’s ride, if the weather stays favorable.”

Ken and Jun rose to leave. “Be careful.”

“I can deal with the snakes,” Nusair told them, almost a sense of eagerness in his voice. “It is the least I can do for my country. God speed to both of you.”

Ken and Jun hurriedly threw the heavy herdsman robes Nusiar provided over their own clothing. The cloth was heavy and difficult to move in, but would provide them some disguise from any air patrols. Ken was impressed by the efficiency of Nusair’s house staff; in the short time that they took their leave of Nusair, the stablehands already had two horses saddled and packs ready to go.

“I hope you know how to ride,” the stablehand said as he handed over the reins of the horse he led.. “Both animals are quite spirited but they are the best for where you need to go. Both are fast and surefooted.”

“Thank you, for choosing such fine horses,” Ken said, swinging up into the saddle of the grey. The gelding pranced tightly in anticipation.

Jun mounted the black mare and gathered the reins. “I’m sure we’ll get along fine,” she assured the Ankiri.

“You can head out across the pasture that way,” the stablehand said, pointing off to his left. “There is a gate at the edge of the field, after you pass through it, you are on open land. You will reach the timberline not far after that. I put a topo map in both your packs.”

“Thank you. We’ll take good care of them,” Jun said, then she and Ken spurred the horses into a canter and headed out towards the mountains. With any luck, they would clear Nusair’s land before the Galactor soldiers arrived. Although she and Ken could without a doubt take care of a small contingent of Galactors, more would follow and the danger to Nusair would be too great.

The horses strides were swift and smooth, taking them across the open pasture and quickly into the foothills and the cover of the forest. Although the going would be much more slow here, the chances of them being spotted were far less than in the open lowlands. With any luck, they would reach the river by nightfall, camp there and rest the horses overnight, then be able to cross over tomorrow morning.

The path north steadily climbed, the change in elevation becoming apparent as the air grew thinner and colder. The once heavy robes now felt comfortably warm; they pulled their hands inside their sleeves to keep them warm as the sun began to set. They traveled in relative silence, the forest sounds broken only by the hard breathing of their mounts. As predicted, they reached the river just as night began to fall.

“We should look for some shelter here for the night,” Ken said, pulling his gray to a stop. “I think it would be too dangerous to try to take the horses across the river in the dark.”

“They do need a rest,” Jun agreed. She laid a hand along the sweat-covered neck of her mare. “We’ve been riding them pretty hard.”

“I will take care of feeding and watering them. Maybe you can find a place where we can camp for tonight.”

Jun dismounted and handed her reins to Ken, then climbed up the hill to scout the cliffs alongside the riverbank. Ken removed two small sacks of grain from their saddle packs and poured them out onto the ground for the horses to eat. Once they cleaned it up, he walked them down to the river to drink and refilled the canteens. He took a drink and then wiped his face with the water. It was cold and sweet; straight from the snow runoff from the high country.

“Ken,” Jun called out from above, “I found a small cave. It’s perfect.”

Ken led the horses back up the small hill towards the bluffs. Jun had found a shallow cave under an overhang, just large enough for them to fit inside comfortably. It would provide shelter from the cold and keep them out of sight.

“Good work,” he said. “I’ll unsaddle the horses and get them tethered.”

“It will get cold tonight. I’ll scout out some wood and get a fire started.”

“Get cold!” Ken snorted. “It already is.”

A short while later they sat by the warmth of the campfire, finishing some dried meat and bread that had been packed for them and listened to the crackling of the wood and the sound of the horses grazing peacefully. The problems of the last two days seemed so remote now, almost impossible to imagine in such a serene setting.

“I’ll take first watch,” Ken offered. “You get some sleep.”

“Ken, I’m fine, really. You don’t need to worry about me. My head doesn’t even hurt anymore.”

Ken turned, blushing slightly. “Was I that obvious?”

“Geez, you’d think I was going to break or something. I’ve been hit worse than that before.”

“I know. I’m sorry. You just really scared me back at the compound, you know?”

“Now you know how I feel when you take off on your own like you do,” she chastised him playfully. Jun pulled the colorful blanket around her shoulders tighter. “Remember that escape and evade drill Nambu sent us on against the 10th Mountain Division in Colorado?” she asked, changing the topic.

Ken nodded. “Yeah. That one was fun. Those guys were good.”

“This reminds me of it, here, in the mountains. Except we didn’t get to ride horses then.”

“No. And those guys were smarter than Galactor. If it wasn’t for you and Joe laying down a false trail, they would’ve found where I was.”

“That and Ryu taking out an entire unit by himself.” Jun laughed lightly. “Boy, were those guys surprised.” She spread out one of the mohair blankets on the ground. “Promise me you’ll wake me for my turn,” she said. “You need to sleep, too.”

“Trust me.”

Jun curled up into a ball on the cave floor. “I do.” A moment later, she was sound asleep.

Ken waited until he was sure she was sleeping, then stood up and walked out to the entrance of the cave. The horses were resting and only the sounds of a light breeze in the conifers could be heard. The air was cold and sharp. He pulled a blanket around his neck and watched, planning how to proceed tomorrow morning.

~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]