Gatchaman Episode 43 - A Romance Destroyed By Evil by TransmuteJun
[Reviews - 0] - Table of Contents - [Report This]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is a Gatchamania Episode review. Opinions expressed are those of the author.

This episode review is image intensive.

Gatchaman Episode 43 – A Romance Destroyed by Evil

 

A young man and a young woman stand in the pouring night rain, staring at each other in utter misery. Each of them holds a gun ready to fire, but both of them have their weapons pointed at the ground.

A shot further back reveals that they are standing within the blackened and burned out ruins of buildings.

The man calls out to the woman, calling her Julia.

 

The woman (who bears a strong resemblance to Jun) cries back, calling the man Romina. She drops her gun into a puddle and rushes to him.

 

The man does the same, leaving his gun behind. As they reach each other and embrace, the narrator tells us that Bien and Ameria have been at war, but the conflict has finally ended. Indeed, we can now clearly see that the place where Julia and Romina are is a battlefield, with broken tanks and guns.

Peace has been restored to both nations, thanks to Julia and Romina ‘two young lovers from warring lands’.

‘Shippers look quickly… could this be Ken and Jun? Wink

 

The background music switches from ‘sad and regretful’ to the piano plinking of ‘sad, but with new hope’.
“Julia, how long has it been since I last saw you?” Romina asks, in a vaguely Antonio-Banderas style voice. “The war seemed never-ending. I almost gave up on our relationship.”

“I know.” Julia says softly. “It’s been too long, my dear Romina. Now we can spend our lives together in peace, without fear.” But while her words are happy, her expression is not, and she turns away. Romina wants to know what it is.

Again, look quickly and it could be…

 

Julia is afraid that someone will steal their happiness away from them again.

“No, Julia, we’ll be together forever.” Romina swears to her. Uh oh. When people say stuff like that at the beginning of an episode, especially new characters, I have to wonder…

“The war is over and now everything is peaceful again. We love each other deeply and no one can take that away from us.” Romina insists. He does hear some resemblance to Ken, but he’s got some hard lines around his face. I guess he’s been through the wringer in his life.

Julia cries and falls into his arms.

Okay, one more ‘look quickly’ shot…

 

Romina (now with a slightly Irish accent) tells Julia that the next day they will be married, and that their wedding will serve as a symbol of peace between Bien and Ameria. Julia sighs and moves in for a kiss. The young couple embraces through the night, until the rain stops and the sun dawns.

We cut to Sosai, who is chewing out Berg Katse.

“Katse, I told you to seize the underground resources of Bien and Ameria!” X lectures. “I begin to feel that you enjoy failing.”

 

“No! Please, Leader X, I beseech you!” Katse protests humbly. “Grant me another chance, Sire!”

 

“Too late!” Sosai snarls. “This plan was only possible while the two countries were at war! Now they’ve signed a peace treaty. Attempting anything now would attract too much attention.”

Katse looks lost and lonely at his end of the Audience Chamber.

 

“Oh please, Sire!” he begs. “I have a plan that will work! I will use the two lovers of Romina and Julia to lead the nations of Bien and America into war again! Please, Great Leader, one more chance…” His voice sounds hopeful.

“Very well.” X agrees. “Succeed, or your promises will come to haunt you! I expect results!”

“Sire!” Katse bows gratefully.

You know, it’s at moments like this that I wonder why X kept Katse on as Lord of Galactor. I’m inclined to think that X is like a parent disappointed in the performance of their child. He can’t get rid of his child, and doesn’t want to, but there’s a growing resentment when his child continually doesn’t succeed.

As I mull these thoughts, 3 men in army jeeps are driving out of a set of ruins in the desert. In one jeep sits a man with a hairdo that would make Fonzie jealous. But he’s scowling and holding a gun menacingly, so we know he’s a bad guy.

 

And back at the Crescent Base, it’s the Daily Fish Parade!

Nambu tells the Team that the ISO has received some disturbing intelligence. But the Team doesn’t seem to be listening. They’d rather watch the Fish Parade.

 

Suddenly it sinks into their minds what Nambu has said, and they turn around.

 

Nambu briefs the Team about the ceasefire between Bien and Ameria. Amazingly, even though there is a couch, no one is sitting. This is a change from the usual four sit and one stands/four stand and one sits methods of briefing.

 

Nambu says that he has heard that there is a plot underway against Romina and Julia. Someone wants to lead the countries back into war.
“But Doctor, who would do such a thing?” Ken wants to know.

 

Oh, I thought you were smarter than that, Ken… But Joe figures it out.
“It’s gotta be Galactor.” he says. “They’ve got some nerve!”

 

“Joe’s probably right.” Admits Nambu. “Hmmm…..” There’s a long pause. Perhaps Nambu’s wondering why Ken didn’t figure it out.

“Romina and Julia are leaving tomorrow.” Nambu tells them. “You should follow them. Your mission is to protect them while they’re on their honeymoon. Now go, Science Ninja Team, and launch the God Phoenix!”

Everyone shouts ‘Roger’ and runs out of the room.

 

Cue stock footage of the God Phoenix launching from the Crescent Coral Base. Soon the God Phoenix is flying over the war torn battlefields of either Bien or Ameria.

We pan to a nearby airport, where Romina and Julia are being dropped off by a car. They walk by happily, not noticing the man who is following them.

 

Yep, it’s Ken! Fooled you, didn’t I? Wink

Romina and Julia move happily through the airport lobby, which is filled with passengers. But they are being watched…

 

You know, it amazes me how the Team can spy so surreptitiously in full Birdstyle. Seriously. Doesn’t anyone notice?

Jun looks up and gives a little ‘OK’ signal.

 

Joe waves back at her, from a balcony above the lobby.

 

Gee, that’s an awfully chipper gesture for Joe. But even as he gives Jun the two-finger wave, he’s looking at Julia and Romina in the crowd.

 

Notice how there’s no sign of Ryu? Does he really need to be in the God Phoenix on this assignment? It’s not like they’re parked at an enemy base or anything…

Perhaps because Ryu is not there to help prevent it, a man moves closer to the young couple. It’s Mr. Fonzie-Hair from the desert! He chuckles evilly before approaching them. Joe sees him approach, and is concerned.

 

Jun sees the man as well, while Joe readies his cablegun. Romina turns around, suddenly concerned, probably because the ‘something’s about to happen’ music has begun to play.
The evil-looking man stops, smiling nastily at Romina. But Joe is ready in case the man tries anything.

 

Suddenly, Romina calls out to the man, who is apparently named Illya. Romina says that it’s been a long time since they’ve seen each other. Illya smiles in a less threatening way as the two men embrace. Yep, it’s a bit of yaoi-ish manly hugging. Joe smiles condescendingly at this and puts his gun down.

“I can’t believe you’re still alive!” Romina says, in an even stronger Irish accent.

“Yeah, we were almost wiped out in the battle of Highland 103, but I don’t know how we made it.” Illya says. “I’m just glad to hear that everything’s peaceful again, my friend.”

“Illya is a buddy who fought alongside me in the war.” Romina explains, now full Irish. I guess the Antonio Banderas thing at the beginning was a fluke. “He was a guerilla commander fighting for peace.”

Hmmm… I’ve never heard of guerillas fighting for ‘peace’, but hey, I’ll go with it. Julia does too, and she bows her head in respect to Illya.

On the balcony, Joe appears startled by something, but I’m not sure what.

 

“Congratulations!” Illya says, grasping one of Romina’s hands in both of his. “The two of your have ensured that both of our countries will be allies forever. Have a wonderful time on your trip”

  
~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]