The Ties That Bind Part II by TransmuteJun
[Reviews - 3] - Table of Contents - [Report This]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This fic is part of my Origins AU, and references events described in my Discovery fic.
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is part II of my three part story: The Ties That Bind. This story is in the same AU as my fics It’s Not Easy Being Green, Turning Point, and my Discover/Recovery/Reconciliation trilogy. These other stories are referenced in this fic, but it’s not necessary to have read them.

Chapter 1

Red Impulse checked his watch impatiently for the fourth time in the last quarter hour. He wanted to hit something, but he was standing inside an underground tunnel carved out of solid rock, which didn’t offer much in the way of targets. As it was, it was risky for him to even be waiting around like this. Masaki and Oniishi would want to know where he was; perhaps even start looking for him. The dark clothing he was wearing to hide his body and his identity would matter little then.

Just as he was about ready to leave, the Colonel heard the sound of footsteps. Whoever was approaching was making no effort to be silent, and neither were they hurrying themselves.

Red Impulse rolled his eyes in the dark. He hadn’t wanted to come to this meeting in the first place. He would have preferred to remain anonymous, but when Sosai had insisted that he be here, the Colonel had had no choice but to obey his Master.

A light was visible now, bobbing along the corridor as the person controlling it moved forward. The Colonel groaned softly to himself. What was the point of holding this clandestine conference in a secret location if the man he was convening with did not take even the most simple of precautions? Again, Red Impulse sighed at the necessity of his attendance at this meeting.

The other man approached, shining his light around and staring futilely into the darkness beyond his circle of illumination.

“He’s not here!” the man moaned. “I should have known! Stupid, useless Galactor…”

“I’m here.” Red Impulse said coldly, stepping out from the shadows and into the pool of light cast by the man’s metallic torch. “In fact, I’ve been waiting for almost twenty minutes. You’re late.”

“Pah!” the man waved his hand in a condescending manner. I had important business to attend to…”

“And you think I don’t?” the Colonel sneered. “You are the one who insisted on this meeting. Just tell me what you want and let me get on with my business!”

“What?” the man snorted indignantly. “Do you know whom you are speaking to?” He pulled himself together self-righteously, wrapping his purple cape around his body.

“I know exactly who you are, Berg Katse.” Red Impulse spat. “You’re the man who is wasting my time. Now out with it! Tell me what you want or I’ll simply report to Sosai that you refused to speak with me.”

Berg Katse seemed to deflate somewhat at the mention of Sosai’s name. Red Impulse raked his gaze contemptuously over his nemesis. They had never met in person before, as Sosai had always forbidden such a thing.

Until now.

The Colonel had seen images of Berg Katse in the ISO files, but somehow the Galactor Leader appeared more ridiculous in person. How Nambu would laugh if he knew that the man in charge of the recent attacks on ISO installations was nothing but a neurotic, skinny, lipstick-wearing, cross-dressing, purple lunatic.

“You…” he whispered, the venomous sound at odds with his plump, pink lips. “Agent Black… You’re the one Sosai talks to… No wonder…”

Red Impulse leaned back against the wall, outwardly glaring at Berg Katse, but inwardly smirking. So Katse knew of his existence, did he? Clearly the Galactor Leader was not as secure in his position as he liked to appear. Less than a month ago, Katse’s title had been elevated to ‘Lord of Galactor’ by Sosai. Now everyone in the Galactor organization had to address this foppish man as ‘Lord Katse’, but even this did not appear to reassure the purple-clad mutant.

Perhaps this was because Berg Katse somehow suspected that the black-garbed man he currently beheld would never bow and scrape before him, regardless of whatever title Sosai had bestowed upon his protégé.

“Now, Katse!” the Colonel snapped. The Galactor Leader flinched at Red Impulse’s sharp tone.

“It’s all because of that damned Science Ninja Team!” Katse said, his words coming out in a nasal whine. “They came from out of nowhere! And that Gatchaman… who is that guy, anyhow?”

As the Galactor Leader continued to rant, Red Impulse couldn’t help smiling to himself. His son was apparently good for something after all. Destroying Berg Katse’s credibility with Sosai was definitely a worthwhile pastime. Yet the Colonel knew that this couldn’t last forever. The Science Ninja Team would have to be destroyed, to ensure that Sosai’s plans were not disrupted.

“So why are you talking to me about this?” Red Impulse asked. “Surely this is your problem, and not mine?”

Berg Katse’s face turned red, his skin clashing horribly with his purple mask.

“I need your help.” he admitted meekly. “When I heard that Galactor had a high-level operative working from within the UN…”

“Actually, I work on my own.” the Colonel corrected him. “I make reports to the UN and the ISO, and ‘share’ information with them, but I act with a fair amount of autonomy.”

“I need you to help me defeat the Science Ninja Team.” Katse said, waving his hand dismissively at the Colonel’s explanation. “Whatever connections you may have, they are inside connections. You can give them information; sabotage them from within.”

“Perhaps.” Red Impulse nodded thoughtfully, for the first time truly interested in what Berg Katse had to say. “What did you have in mind?”

88888

Joe slammed the door to his trailer as he stormed inside, before throwing himself angrily onto his narrow bed. Damn Dr. Nambu! And damn Ken for being such a pussy and following Nambu’s orders all of the time without even bothering to think for himself! The Science Ninja Team had been actively battling Galactor for barely a month, and yet this was the third argument Joe had had with Ken and Nambu about the Bird Missiles. Dr. Wuss and Eagle Buttkisser never wanted to let the Condor use ‘excessive force’. Well what the hell did the God Phoenix even have Bird Missiles for, if not for blowing up Galactor mecha?

He wanted to scream curses at the top of his lungs, but settled instead for slamming his fist into the wall. The rickety trailer shook, and a satisfying dent was left behind. Joe grunted in satisfaction.

He looked around the tiny trailer, which was his home away from the ISO. It wasn’t much, but it was his, and it fit well into his civilian identity of a part-time semi-professional racecar driver. He wasn’t happy with having to cut back on his racing activities, but it was necessary to being part of the Science Ninja Team, and fighting Galactor. And that was more important than anything else. More important than car racing. More important than where he lived.

It was even more important than Dr. Nambu’s unnecessary restrictions on the use of Bird Missiles.

Not that this made Nambu’s strictures any easier for him to bear. Joe needed a break from all of this. He needed to relax.

Unbidden, an image of the Snack J rose up in his mind. Jun had started up the small bar about six months ago, and Joe had found that he enjoyed going there on his free evenings. It was generally quiet, and Jun didn’t mind if he took up a barstool or a booth all night while she tended to her customers. He had become an instant ‘regular’ there, without having to put in the time or social effort that kind of status usually required.

Instinctively, Joe found himself picking up his keys and heading out the door.

He had just sat down in the passenger seat of his car when the thought occurred to him that Ken might be at the Snack J tonight as well. But then Joe realized that this was unlikely, as Ken was broke. He had been running up quite a tab over the past few days, consuming Jun’s food and drinks, yet paying her nothing. He was living in his parents’ old house on the outskirts of town, operating an air delivery business from the grass airstrip out behind his shack. But for whatever reason, Ken seemed to be perpetually out of money. It was an embarrassment, as far as Joe was concerned. Surely Ken wouldn’t have the balls to show his face at the Snack J tonight.

With this thought, Joe turned his key in the ignition, and it wasn’t long before he found himself pulling up in front of Jun’s bar. He got out of his car and walked inside, past the large letter J that stood outside the establishment, advertising the bar’s location.

Inside, as usual, the Snack J had a dark, comforting atmosphere, and Joe went over to the last barstool, nearest the wall. Jun looked up at him as he entered, smiling at Joe as he walked over toward her. She wordlessly brought him a bottle of beer even as he sat down. Joe couldn’t help grinning back at her. She had known exactly what he wanted, and had delivered it to him with a quiet, yet pleasant, efficiency.

Perfect.

Joe’s head was bent down, but his eyes followed Jun’s movements as she served her other customers, cleaned up after them, and gave directions to Jinpei, who was working in the kitchen. For all of her explosives and chemicals expertise, Jun was a lousy cook.

Joe found his body relaxing, and he took a long, slow sip of beer while he slid a few dollars across the bar to pay for his drink. He didn’t want to rush things, as he had to make the one drink last all night. As a member of the Science Ninja Team, Joe was always on call, and if he had to go fight Galactor, he needed to have a clear head.

But Joe’s relaxed mood disappeared when the door to the bar opened and he saw Ken walking in with Ryu. Joe hunched down lower in his seat, not looking their way. He knew that Ken had seen him, but he hoped that his body language was clearly communicating his desire to be left alone. He didn’t want to get into another argument about Bird Missiles. Not now. He had come here to relax and forget about the fight against Galactor, if only for a few moments.

Ken ignored Joe and went toward a seat at the other end of the bar. He and Ryu ordered a meal, and Jun rushed off to the kitchen, to tell Jinpei to prepare their food. She hurried back again, bringing the two men drinks, and casting a longing look in Ken’s direction.

But Ken didn’t look back.

Joe watched through narrowed eyes as Ken and Ryu ate and drank. After Ryu had finished, he laid some money on the counter, then went off with Jinpei, who had finished his kitchen duties for the night. And yet Ken remained glued to his seat, lingering over his meal.

At first, Joe wondered if Ken had convinced Ryu to pay for his meal, but it became clear that this was not the case as the bar emptied of all other patrons and Jun finally came over to leave a small white piece of paper at Ken’s place.

“What’s this?” Ken asked, his face screwing up in concentration and bewilderment as he frowned at the white slip.

“It’s your tab, Ken.” Jun said quietly. “You owe me $59.34 for the last few nights.”

“I’m kind of tapped out this month.” Ken said, staring down at the counter. “Could you spot me again, Jun?”

Joe was astounded. Ken really had the gall to ask for another extension? Jun had really been pretty generous letting him go on this long as it was.

“I understand, Ken.” Jun said softly, putting her hand over his on the bar. “It’s okay. You know that you can always come to me when you need anything.”

The way she was looking at Ken made Joe’s throat tighten uncomfortably. The longing on Jun’s face spoke more clearly than words about her feelings for the Eagle. And yet Ken yanked his hand away as if he was repulsed by the simple touch.

“Thanks, Jun.” he mumbled, pushing away from the bar and standing up to make a hasty exit. The expression of shock and dismay on Jun’s face made Joe angry, and suddenly he found himself moving swiftly to the door, catching a surprised Ken by the arm.

“What do you think you’re doing, Ken?” the Condor growled, glaring at the surprised Eagle.

“Oh, so now you want to talk to me.” Ken sighed. “First you ignore me, and now you’re ready to fight? How much have you had to drink, Joe?”

The Condor saw red. He was ready to plow his fist into the Eagle’s face when a soft beeping sound arose from his arm, distracting him from his intended course of action. Joe blinked rapidly, staring at his wrist for a moment before realizing that the same sound was coming from Jun’s and Ken’s wrists as well.

Ken casually pulled away from Joe, then raised his bracelet to his mouth and spoke.

“This is Gatchaman.”

“Gatchaman,” came Dr. Nambu’s voice, “assemble your team and come to my office.”

“We’ll be there.” Ken acknowledged.

Joe nodded sharply. Whatever his feelings about Ken’s rude behavior, this was more important.

Sometimes, it seemed that the Science Ninja Team was the only thing holding them together at all.

~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]