Raison d'Etre by Alara Rogers
[Reviews - 0] - Printer
Summary:

A crossover between two very similar people - Magneto from the Marvel universe and Berg Katse from Gatchaman.


Warning: this story is unfinished.


Rated: 13+
Categories: Gatchaman
Characters: Berg Katse, Other Crossover Character
Genre: Drama
Story Warnings: Adult Situations
Timeframe: Sequel
Universe: Alternate Universe, Cross-Over
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No
Word count: 11623 Read: 5439
Published: 06/10/2007 Updated: 06/10/2007
Story Notes:
This story requires a bit of explanation.

For years I have been obsessed with villains, antiheros, and noble antagonists. Recently a spate of good fiction featuring Berg Katse, the villain from "Gatchaman", has reawakened my interest in that character, around the same time as fan fiction featuring Magneto, a villain/antagonist/antihero from "X-Men", has reawakened my interest in *that* character. There are certain similarities:

Berg Katse is a tall, fair-haired Germanic mutant who likes to dress in purple and red and has tried to conquer the world.

Magneto is a tall, fair-haired Germanic mutant who likes to dress in purple and red and has tried to conquer the world. :-)

Okay, there are big differences between them, too. But I wondered how they would react if they met each other. Thus, "Raison d'etre."

The first section is written from Magneto's POV and therefore is a bit more accessible to the Marvel fans, who I presume don't know Gatch. I am going to try to balance things and write Katse's POV so that the Gatch fans will find the story equally understandable, so that you don't need to know both fandoms.

In continuity, this story violates no Gatchaman canon as it takes place after Berg Katse falls to hes death. In Marvel time, this takes place between UXM #275 and XM #1. Gatch fans, if you are not Katse fans, this may not be the story for you as aside from Berg Katse no Gatchaman characters appear. Marvel fans, if you are not Magneto fans, other characters *do* appear but not in this section, and mostly this story is about Magneto, so you might want to skip.

Gatch acknowledgements:

I owe a debt to Cal, Ennien, and Legion for their post-G-I redemption of Katse fanfics. I've had numerous such ideas myself, so I'm not stealing from you guys, but you inspired me to actually write something down. :-)

X-Men acknowledgements:

Chris Delaney, Chris Campbell, Rivka Jacobs and others have influenced aspects of this story or written things that inspired me to write. Thanks, guys. Keep the fanfic and the FAQs coming.

Each section will be separately rated, because at the moment I'm not sure what the plot is going to ask me to do.

1. Chapter 1 by Alara Rogers [Reviews - 0] (6780 words)

2. Chapter 2 by Alara Rogers [Reviews - 0] (4843 words)
Raison d'etre Notes 2:

For those of you who know something about Gatchaman, or would like to, I should note a few things about Katse and about my view of Galactor. In the show "Gatchaman", we are never told Galactor's motivations, aside from "they want power." To me this makes no sense. Flunkies don't join an organization that requires them to sign up their entire family and throw away their personal feelings if it has no ideology at all. My notions of what Galactor's, and Katse's, ideology might in fact be were inspired by the work of Calezane and Ennien Ashbrook. (Thanks guys!) I did work it out for myself, but they got me thinking on the track I eventually took.

It is not my intent to whitewash Katse; however, the idea that Galactor has no ideology at all makes no sense to me. Also, Magneto has no way of checking on Katse's story, and will filter her biased view of her own activities through his own personal biases. It's entirely possible that if he had access to objective facts about what she's been doing for the past four years, he'd chuck her out the airlock, but he doesn't and he ain't gonna get it. At the same time, Katse isn't lying; she simply is not a reliable narrator, and will talk about her past in the light of her personal biases.