A Strange New World by Lyssa
[Reviews - 4] - Table of Contents - [Report This]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
‘Yanni,’ Hasqui pulled his youngest brother away from the retreating women.

Watching Juna leave the room while his Mother and wife moved in the opposite directions, he conspired with Yanni. Staying on the sidelines, Hasqui watched the showdown with silent pleasure. Few had the tenacity to go against his wife. Fewer still survived the encounter proving this girl to be more than she seemed.

‘Mother,’ Yanni grinned, ‘caught the animosity between Mala and Juna.’

‘Few in the room could be dense enough to miss it,’ Hasqui smirked. ‘Yet Juna is no fool. She played her part well, leaving Mala nothing for retaliation. Still, I know my wife’s need for revenge against anyone she believes slighted her. We must get Juna away from this house at the earliest possible moment.’

‘She will not leave,’ Yanni spoke quietly, ‘until Kenji is well enough to travel.’

‘I suspected as much,’ he answered. ‘It complicates the issue but is understandable. I want you to stay as close to Juna as possible.’

‘That,’ Yanni looked forlorn, ‘will create its own problems. My appearing with her has started gossip which Mothers allows to continue unchecked.’

‘Then,’ Hasqui responded with a smile, ‘we will play into Mother’s hands and stop further questions about you when she breaks your heart. It will delay you seeking out a wife for several years. By then you could be living in Cathara city where you will find many likeminded young men to form friendships with.’

Astounded, Yanni picked up his jaw as his brother walked away. He’d heard the rumours. In Spectra’s largest city, a secret society existed. Sharing his orientation they managed to blend in. Careful to keep their passions private, they lead normal lives, unmolested by the Militia but unable to openly express their sexual preferences.

At the same time, three floors up, Princess returned to her room. Removing the heavy outer Ebque headpiece, Mark cracked open an eye and watched. Following the Swan’s movements around the space the moment she entered, he knew she used her cerabonics. Oblivious to the world, the Swan’s active mind integrated everything she’d learnt. Finally taking her customary place on the edge of the bed, Princess placed a palm over his heart without conscious thought. Sighing at the comforting gesture, he closed his lids without saying a word. For Princess to involuntarily offer the motion, her mind had to be completely engaged.

Forcing her thoughts to the man on the bed, Princess turned her gaze to Mark. The abrasions on his forehead almost healed, it meant the cerabonic implant might finally be working at full capacity. In a day or two her Commander would be fit enough for active duty. He needed to be for the idea forming in her head to work. Knowing Tanora or Yanni would be sent to fetch her when she didn’t immediately return, the Swan reluctantly picked up a gauze head dress.

‘Duty calls,’ Princess whispered, leaning down to place a soft kiss on her Commander’s temple. ‘I’ll be back soon. Rest until I return, Kenji. We’re going to have a lot to talk about then and I’m not sure you’re going to like what I have to say.’

Cracking open his eye once again, he examined her closely. ‘Then,’ he demanded, ‘we’ll discuss it before you leave. I know it’s been almost a week since the crash, but I don’ remember much. Even my cerabonics are unable to give me the information I need.’

Switching to High Spectran, Princess offered, ‘there is much to tell you of our adventures after leaving Tandari, Kenji.’ Smiling the warning hit its target. As she stood, Princess decided not to tell Mark about the Mala complication. He didn’t understand enough to make a logical or tactical decision. Besides she had an almost foolproof plan, if she could get Yanni to agree.

‘While I’m gone,’ she added, walking over to the computer console, ‘there is some reading you need to catch up on. It’s important so I’ll leave the file open. I’ve had to modify our cover stories to suit this new data. You’ll understand why when you get a chance to incorporate this information.’

A few strokes and she’d ensured her history would stand up to Mala’s snooping. The program indicated Yanni investigated their Spectran background. Reaching for the fruit bowl, Princess took a small bite from the purple fruit. Heading for the bathroom, she disposed of the rest. As she finished the mouthful, the doorbell chimed.

‘Right on time,’ she whispered silently, looking at her reflection in the mirror.

Winking as she walked past the bed, Princess signalled for Mark to pretend to be unconscious before opening the door. ‘Tanora,’ she gushed when he ignored her plea, ‘my Mark has woken.’

‘Then he has recovered?’ Unable to stop herself, the older woman chanced a peek inside the room. Icy blue eyes in the body of a well-built man lounging against the headboard watched the exchange. Nervously Tanora looked to her feet. ‘Mother requests you’re presence. We are about to give thanks and break bread.’

‘I’m sorry,’ Princess looked towards the clock on the wall after glaring at Mark, ‘when Kenji woke, we had much to discuss. I’m afraid time slipped away from me.’ Facing Mark, she attracted his attention with a hand signal, ‘I’ll return after the banquet with refreshments for you. You are still too weak to leave our bed.’

Nodding, the curious look stated his intelligence officer would have a lot of explaining to do when she returned. The moment the door closed, Mark contemplated his next move. Princess obviously wanted him to stay in the room. It meant more went on than he knew. Trusting his teammate, the Eagle sighed and attempted to use his augmented senses to get a feel for this place. They didn’t work. Sitting on the edge of the large double bed, the only one in the room, Mark understood why. Head swimming, the Commander started an internal audit of his cerabonics. Lying down for the minutes it would take to reboot his hardware, Mark wondered where Princess slept. It didn’t take long to realise both sides held rumpled sheets. Her earlier comment about “our bed” suddenly made sense.

Needing information, Mark cautiously made his way to the computer. Familiar with Spectran electronics, he easily navigated the file Princess left for him. The document covered the role and responsibility of a first husband. Not sure he liked the words “first” and “husband” in relation to Princess, Mark’s augmented mental capacity soon understood.

Spectra and her people became a wonder to Mark as he opened file after file. Sighting the fruit bowl, he smiled. All the small green apple-like fruit had disappeared. Princess had become partial to them when learning how to survive on Spectra. Munching on the remainder, enthralled by the ridged roles within the society and the politics governing the planet, Mark left only the poisonous purple fruit.

Men and women had to work together, forming a symbiotic partnership. Ownership and money controlled by different parties, no business could survive without the full cooperation of a husband and wife. While a female owned the building and stock, a male needed to provide the cash flow. If one mismanaged assets the lively hood of the entire clan, including other dependants, evaporated. The meaning behind Princess’s assertions they were married becoming clearer, he wondered what plan she’d cooked up.

Wanting to be ready when she returned, Mark searched for his clothes. He found them hidden under the mattress along with their communicators. There had to be a reason for Princess concealing their belongings. He just couldn’t fathom what it might be at this point in time.

‘What,’ he commented, remembering to use High Spectran, looking around the room for hidden devices, ‘are you up to Juna? I know you’ve tampered with our identities, the question is why?’

Returning the mattress to the bed base, Mark found the bathroom. Taking a shower, he became aware of his bodies reluctance to expend energy. Back between cool sheets, he pondered when he last ate a proper meal. Stomach grumbling, the Eagle forced himself to ignore the empty sensation.

The next hour passed slowly. Mark napped then intended to read more about the society surrounding them. Instead he checked his intelligence officers’ computer hacking. Smiling, the Eagle added a few extra levels of safety to guard their identity. His clearance higher than the Swan’s, Mark transferred enough Spectran Yeni, the local currency, into an account he could access. It sent a backdoor signal to the ISO. Chief Anderson would know they were safe but not their exact location until he managed to retrieve the funds.

‘That for me,’ he asked still sitting at the computer terminal, a small towel covering his socially unacceptable areas. Smelling the food she carried on a tray, his mouth watered. Nodding, Princess placed it on the bed, motioned for him to approach. ‘I’ve been blown away by the document you left for me. I can tell you have a plan from the computer meddling. Now talk,’ the Commander demanded, tucking into his first meal in six days, ‘and you can tell me where you’ve hidden the clothes I’m supposed to wear to blend in.’

Attempting to hide her smile, Princess retrieved the garments, watching as he changed and ate at the same time. Mark didn’t look pleased at the indigo coloured pant suit. Terran’s from the Indian sub-continent still wore the long sleeved, knee length over shirts and pantaloons. The accompanying head covering, based on the goon’s half mask finished the outfit when out in public. It explained Zoltar’s extraordinary sense of dress and those of his minions.

‘Well,’ Mark swallowed a mouth full of protein, frowning at the outfit, ‘at least it’ll allow us to go out in public without discovery.’

‘That,’ Princess sobered immediately, ‘is the least of our problems. I need to tell you what happened at dinner tonight. I don’t want you to be surprised when Mother barges in here telling you I’m pregnant and about to take a second husband.’

‘What!’ Mark paled, the food in his mouth turning to sawdust.
~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]