Owl! Assemble! by Phoenixfire
[Reviews - 0] - Table of Contents - [Report This]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

AN: And now we get to see what's been happening in the Gatchaman Universe. In the first fic, we saw the God Phoenix 'tweak' the flow of time to suit her needs. The consequences are brought to light here, despite her noble intentions. Instead of being missing for around 2 weeks, it's been almost 2 years. More than enough time for the original Gatchaman to pass, as well as Gatchaman 2 and we're now into a part of Gatchaman Fighter.

WARNING! THIS CHAPTER WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS TO GATCHAMAN, GATCHAMAN 2 AND GATCHAMAN FIGHTER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

This chapter just describes the events that have occurred in these shows. If you want to skip this to not have spoilers, then the main thing you should take from this is the introduction to Ryu's replacement, Selena Roma, the Kestrel and new G5, time was fixed since the God Phoenix messed around with it in the first fic so what was two weeks to Ryu, was two years to the Gatcha-verse. Meaning that at the end of this chapter, when Ryu's consciousness returns to the marvel-verse, the Gatcha-verse would be a few episodes into Gatchman Fighter.

Previously...

The God Phoenix nods her head and approaches Jean's Phoenix force. They both stand facing one direction, before holding one hand out in front of them and focus their power. The air in front of them distorts, before stabilising. Once done, the G. Phoenix whoops in delight while Jean's Phoenix frowns. When asked what was wrong, she replies, as if unsure. "Something feels... Wrong? Not, bad, just, wrong. It feels like, I dunno, you order a Vanilla Ice cream and you get a trace of strawberry in it. It's safe though, don't worry about it."

Giving a nod, they each enter the portal, ready to visit the world Ryu and the G. Phoenix came from...


They appear, floating in the air and slightly incorporeal Jean's Phoenix then blinks, before frowning and looks around. "... This isn't right. Time isn't flowing normally?"

The G. Phoenix blinks and nods. "Now that I've been out of this dimension and back here, it does feel faster in comparison. Oh... Maybe those times I tweaked time to bring the team together did this?"

Jean's Phoenix rounds on her, eyes wide. "You altered time! Are you crazy! Doing it risks causing time to progress at a different rate as the rest of the universe. How many times did you do it!?"

Ryu was also looking at her, wide eyed. "Bring the team together?"

G. Phoenix blushes. "Um... about three times? And don't mind that Ryu-Kun. heh heh."

"... Yeah... Time's accelerated." She sighs. "Let me fix this."

Ryu and Jean look at each other, feeling a little out of it. "Does, this happen often?"

She gives a hesitant look. "... To be honest. This is the first time. Then again, weird stuff happens to the X, whoa!" She stumbles, feeling a wash of power flare out. Ryu also stumbles, falling onto his backside despite hovering in the air, both of them looking with wide eyes at Jean's Phoenix.

G. Phoenix just snorts at that display. "Show off... But it's been fixed. Heh, whoops? Well, at least we're sorted now right?"

Jean's Phoenix sighs. "Well. This is your world. Let's see if you can find the time stream that shows the past." Both Phoenix's begin floating around, reaching their hands out and making noises as they were examining things they couldn't see.

Ryu glances at Jean. "Has, she always been able to do this?" The shake of her head was a negative. He didn't feel that much better.

Jean's Phoenix then grins. "Got it! Ok Ryu. Show me the last memory you have of this world. Then I can pull us to that moment and we can watch what happens there."

He blinks, a little lost. The G. Phoenix floats near him, grasps his hands and whispers. "Just, remember the last moments. We'll go from there." He finally nods his head, before closing his eyes. He remembers the mission they ran, the panic and fear over losing everything and everyone, of failing the team and the world.

The air distorts and the colour seems to mute a bit, and they feel a tugging as they suddenly appear at the mountain side. Or, at least it looked like a mountain side. The darkness on the ground and the state of the area was like something big exploded here a long time ago. Ryu glances around, before shivering. The world then goes Grey before everything starts moving the opposite to how it was supposed to move. After a brief time, everything restarts, showing the valley as it looked before the explosion. Then they hear the engines of something powerful soaring overhead.

Spinning in the spot, they all see the God Phoenix, soaring in the sky and followed by a missile and small ships. Ryu brings his hand to his mouth and bite his finger. They watch as the ship dips and weaves, avoiding the smaller missiles whilst trying to shake off their pursuers. Suddenly, the Ship banks towards the mountain and launches a missile at the mountain side. Speeding after the missile, the ship pulls up as the missile collides with the mountainside, causing a large explosion as the ship flies over the mountainside. He closes his eyes, knowing what was about to happen. They turn away from the scene and towards the large wolf mecha that was in the distance. As they approached it, the mountain explodes, creating a large mushroom cloud and vaporising a large portion of the natural rock.

Jean was staring at the cloud of dust. "Was that... a Nuke?"

They both nod their head, continuing their flight to the other members of the team. They finally arrive, just as Ken bangs his hand on a metal door and Joe punching a goon in the stomach. Jun and Jinpei were taking out another group of goons, her yo-yo and his bolas tripping up two who fell and smacked their heads together. Jean blinks and stares at Jinpei in concern, before turning to Ryu, mouth open to say something. The tip of the tail then flies off, most likely housing Berg Katse. Ryu growls as the others sigh in despair at having failed again.

They then turn to the explosion and wince. Joe looks up through the window, sighing. "Well, that's going to be a problem..."

Ken brings his bracelet up to his mouth and calls for him. "Ryu, are you Ok? We've taken down the mecha and waiting for rendezvous." Several moments of silence and Ken starts looking concerned. "Hey, Big guy? You're alright... right? Ryu? Answer me!"

They watch as Ken starts to sound more and more panicky. Jun and Joe were getting paler as they start realising something was up while Jinpei started trying to contact Ryu with his own communicator. "C'mon Ryu! This isn't a good time to prank us!"

Jean and Ryu felt tears building up as they grew more desperate, before Ken stops. Tears in his eyes, he suddenly kneels down and slams his fist into the mecha, a shout of "Dammit!" reverberated throughout the area. Jun collapses to her knees, sobbing while Jinpei rushes into her arms, bawling out that Ryu had to be alive. Joe was standing there, shaking in rage, before he cries out loud, rushes to the door Katse went through and start punching it. They all pause when Nambu calls, asking them for a status report. It's Ken, tears in his eyes, who answers. Telling him it was an Ambush and Ryu is not responding.

Ryu couldn't take it anymore. He rushes over and tries to grab Ken's shoulders, but falls through him. Falling through both Ken and the Mecha, he lands on the ground with an oof. Jinpei's cries grow louder as Ken gives the news that he suspects Ryu to be dead, and unable to take it anymore, Ryu slams his fist in to the ground with a curse. He feels arms wrap around him and finds both Jean and his Phoenix enveloping him in a hug. They stay like that for a while, before Jean's Phoenix pokes her head through the roof. "They're starting to leave."

Ryu nods his head, gathers his strength and leaves his spot. He spots the team, a little ways away, waiting for something. Jun was holding Jinpei while Joe and Ken were exchanging words. He joins them along with Jean, sitting on the ground nearby. He winces as he hears exactly how Joe will pay Galactor back while Jean looks more and more disturbed at hearing his ramblings.

An hour later, a plane lands nearby and it opens to let Nambu exit. He approaches the team and sighs. Several members of the ISO come out to begin checking the area, before one of them backs away from ground zero. They hear his report to Nambu after the team was ushered on. "The area is lightly radioactive. But the closer we get, the greater the Radiation. If G5 survived the explosion, he would most likely be dead from the radioactivity itself."

"We'll do a sweep then, stick to the edge of the radius. Once we have an idea how large it is, we can triangulate the explosion site and have some people examine the site. I won't give up hope just yet..."

Ryu smiles, before settling himself down nearby with the team as they do a sweep of the area. They then return to Crescent Coral base. As they follow them, Ryu finally speaks up. "How... Long is this going to be?"

Jean's Phoenix sighs. "We're watching these at a faster rate. So based on how quickly we're going through these, as well as how much of it there is, I'll say we'll be done in a few hours. That should be enough to cover almost 2 years. Right?"

Ryu stumbles as the scene changes to the Crescent Coral base. "Two YEARS! I've been gone for that long! It's been barely two weeks!"

"Like I said earlier. Time was accelerated. Almost two weeks to you is almost two years to them".

They watch as the group assembles. They look like a mess, but Nambu still speaks to them. About not giving up since Ryu wouldn't want that (Damn straight!). But they're down a pilot. Only three other people scored decently with the flight simulator for the prototype God Phoenix, and he's having one of them join the team as a temporary G5. Jinpei bursts out at this, claiming G5 is still taken and that it's not available for anyone. Ken tries to calm him down but he's adamant about that. When the person is finally brought in, Jinpei takes one look at her, then flees. Jun apologies and runs after him. They are introduced to the newest member of the team. The new G5, The Kestrel. Selena Roma.

Ryu blinks, before frowning, looking over the brown hair, the pale complexion and her black and purple Birdstyle was similar to Joe's in a sense, although he couldn't help but feel a little strange about her. "I've seen her before..."

Both Phoenix's blink, before staring at him in confusion. "Really? When?"

Ryu nods. "Yeah. I had a dream about her, Ken, Jun and Jinpei a while ago in their civvies. Although Joe was missing, those four were still there. Weird... She looks exactly as I pictured her. How did I even get such an accurate idea on what she looks like?" She wasn't a bad pilot though. A little shaky in some places but pretty acceptable in others, clearly capable of taking the team to and from missions and even in piloting the new warship on the attack. Shame they scrapped the Phoenix, although I suppose it was a good thing. That chicken ship couldn't be called a God Phoenix simply because it was nothing like the God Phoenix.

They both look at each other. "Hey, I was still sleeping! I didn't do it!" G. Phoenix exclaimed in defence, before adopting a thoughtful pose. "Although with your latent telepathy building up over the weeks, you may have been able to peek into the world without you knowing... Has something happened recently that was mentally stressful that would also make you think really hard about this dimension?"

Ryu blinks, then laughs. "Yeah. There was this one time a few days ago... I did explain to Captain America a bit more about this world. I, had a problem earlier that day and it was really stressful and had extra training to suppress some of my instincts." The two Phoenix's glance at each other again, before exchanging unspoken words before nodding. "I, kinda forgot I was in their world and encountered HYDRA goons... They're... startling similar to Galactor Goons..." he admitted. "I, may have... reacted badly..." G. Phoenix gives him a hug as Jean's Phoenix explains to her what this Galactor has done. Her horrified expression explained exactly how she felt about it.

Ryu continues watching the events intently. Jinpei obviously didn't like her, Jun was trying her best to accept her whilst Joe and Ken were, apparently indifferent about it, although they both weren't being supportive about it either. Joe didn't even try to flirt with her, which went to show how much his apparent death shook him. Now he felt guilty. Even though he was in an astral projection form, it didn't mean they could interact with the world. This entire experience was both the most painful thing he's ever had to do (including having to prioritise the team over his own father, disappointing his entire family and even failing to help the team most of the time), yet at the same time, it was a good thing so he could get everything out of mind.

Then Jinpei started to create a fake Crescent Coral base, which made him laugh. Selena was trying to be supportive but Jinpei didn't really appreciate it. He loved the kid, but he was being a bit too mean right now. They needed good teamwork to survive against Galactor and his attitude wasn't helping. Turns out the plan did work, and they were going around destroying the various bases they were led too. Then Katse found out that he was being followed and set the mecha to self-destruct while escaping... again. She managed to save Jinpei from this and it was through that event that he finally started accepting her.

Then they witnessed Galactor finally locating and destroying the Crescent base. He watches in horror as Katse's plan is successful, although the team did manage to escape with Nambu, it was still a devastating blow to the teams' morale, which was already hammered away by his apparent death. Selena showed her improvement with handling the Phoenix by managing to get it into the sinking base. He did whistle in appreciation. Even he would of had a tough time getting the ship to enter the base like that.

That's when he found that Joe was having problems. He watched in dawning horror as Joe started getting more and more problems with his sight, before he was captured by Galactor. Jean was watching them torture Joe in horror, how they beat him up, how he fought back and almost killed Katse with a feather Shuriken but missed. The timeline was showing them important events, but it was disconcerting when everything shifts around to a new location. G. Phoenix was quiet the entire time, a hard look on her face as she watches the Condor suffer.

He eventually escapes and sends the others into the base to deal with Katse before apparently dying. Ken gives him his boomerang before descending into the base. They watch as Katse commits suicide and how the machine that was risking the world was about to destroy it. Ken and Jun were arguing about Ken wanting to go into the machine, before it just stops. Blinking, the two psions and phoenix's all peak into the machinery, before bursting into laughter at how Joe's feather shuriken got wedged into the machinery.

Leaving the base, Joe's body was missing. That hurt everyone. Ryu was especially concerned. With him 'dying', the loss of the Crescent base and then Joe dying, they're morale was at an all-time low and they were all really hurting. He tried looking around for him, but without a clue on where to go, he floated aimlessly about before the world shifted to the next event.

Several months of peace later as the team was starting to drift, they were brought back together. About how rumours of Galactor cells has arisen on an island and they needed to investigate. Joe's replacement was a jerk, simple as that, but that jerk-iness was completely shoved to the side upon seeing what happened next. Both he and G. Phoenix were frozen stiff upon spotting the new ship, this 'New God Phoenix'. They just stared in horror as it flew off, even when the scene shifted to their location, they refused to move. Ryu eventually whimpers out. "... My baby..." A hug of condolence was given, Jean patting him on his shoulder. "At least they have an auto pilot... right? Ken, Jun and Jinpei think it's a big thing... right?"

When they follow them to Galactor's next base, they were shocked when Ryu collapses to his knees. Concerned questions were met with a sob as G. Phoenix envelops him in a hug, having figured out why. "Even after our deaths, they're still around! We disappeared for no reason!"

"No! They are resilient, but we can take them out. This is one of their ways of winning. By hiding the heart and just sending out heads. They're like a Hydra, cut off one head and another grows to take its place. We need to strike at the heart..." Jean joins the hug. All that heartache, the loss of both himself and Joe and they're reward was that the enemy came back, just as strong as ever.

They watch as they get taken through more battles, about the hidden base under the desert. Nambu reveals the condor machine that was capable of going down and Ken was about to go down himself when Joe re-joins! That made him cheer! Nothing could keep Joe down. They needed an old face to join. And this was perfect

During one of the many events, Selena was sent out to investigate some strange weather patterns cropping up. There she met this old guy who ended up giving her his harpoon, the means to defeat Galactor after they disable the new Phoenix with magnetic waves. Although Ryu and Jean found out that he was a cyborg, but personally, Ryu didn't care since Joe was Joe, no matter what was done to him.

Ken even managed to get another girl to fall for him. Joe did talk to her for a bit but she was eventually let down. Although they didn't manage to save the target, which turned out to be an observatory. That was a bit bad. But he didn't know where the group needed to go so it didn't matter, although personally, Ryu would have tried helping the girl out but he supposes with him not being there, only Jun would have let her down gently. A while later Selena followed Joe into the desert, but got caught by Galactor's mecha that created another dimension. The team did manage to save her, but she was beginning to get suspicious of Joe.

Selena and Jinpei, who have steadily been bonding, investigated some UFO sightings. Although Jinpei got kidnapped along with a group of kids, he still managed to help save the day.

A new member of the ISO gets introduced a while later, a Dr Pandora. Sure, she helps stop the new leader of Galactor (who even Jean laughed upon spotting her. Gel Sadra looks hilarious, he'll even admit that) by using a machine to combat a mental assault, but did she really have to shoot Nambu to do so? Still, Joe was revealed to be a Cyborg to the group. That was shocking to them.

Several months afterwards, he watches as Nambu gets a message. Ryu stumbles and gasps in shock when Nambu tells the others what was on it. Jean asks what is it, which Ryu finally gathers the voice to say that it's his father that sent the message. Ken decides to go to his father personally, before finding out various suspicious things that had him call the others to investigate. He watches as his Father talks to Ken. He could hear the sadness in his father's and brothers voices and again, he ran to hold them, cursing when he falls through again. He sits down as he watches them get kidnapped while Ken infiltrates the base. He huddles on the beach, not joining this time.

As the ship blows up, Jean sits next to him, asking if he was Ok. His reply was to suddenly hic-cup, sob and then grab onto her and begins crying. She looks up, eyes reflecting sadness. "This is becoming torturous. Must we watch this all!?"

Ryu finally shakes his head, letting go and attempts to regain his composure. "No, I'm ok. Just, needed a bit of release... I, didn't realise how much it hurt seeing my father be so close yet so far away." They watch as the group returns to the shore. His father was kicking up a fuss while Seiji was trying to calm him down. They looked a little worse for wear, but they had a light in their eyes. Once the group was splitting up, he stood next to his father who was saying farewell to the team, before he suddenly pulls Ken into a hug. Confused, he feels more tears prickle out when he hears his father's statement. "I wish you could have met my first son, he would have made you face palm at all those lame and corny jokes he used to try. But he had a good heart and when he helped out, you appreciated the help. I just hope we find him one day... It's been so long since he got lost at sea... But he's my son, a Fisherman from the sea. If anyone can survive for so long out there, it'll be him."

Ryu grins. Good old Ken. Despite not knowing what happened to him, he still held onto the hope that he was still alive and passed on that hope to his father. Well, he wasn't going to disappoint them.

Although he was a bit awed when they started space missions. He would have loved to fly to outer space. Jean gives a shrug besides him and comments that it's overrated. A few more visions later and they watch as Ken is revealed to be Gatchaman to Galactor. Ryu winces at this.

They watch the scene where Joe was on his quest to destroy Sosai X, how the leader of Galactor, Gel Sadra is the daughter of Pandora and then eventually, the point where Ken's weapon narrowly saves Joe from blowing up with X.

And then another enemy comes in. This one actually manages to destroy the new God Phoenix (he still wasn't sure how he should feel. Neither did G. Phoenix.) The new machines was new and he could see how vastly superior they were over the New God Phoenix. But with his eyes opened up to other types of tech and seeing the QuinJet, he could honestly say that they could be heavily improved. Then he saw Ken's Lightsaber. OR rather, it was called the Gatcha Fencer, but honestly, it was a Lightsaber. Ah, the spoils of Star Wars.

The Hyper shoot, the new way Ken takes out the mecha's on his own, has him worried. All that power flowing through him, it was like when he used the God Phoenix's power to take out all those Mecha's. Then, rather abruptly, the world returns its normal hue. Jean's Phoenix, having remained quiet the entire time, speaks up. "We are now synchronised with time again. A day here is a day on our world. But I see why you formed this team now."

G. Phoenix nods, having reigned in her emotions. "That's right. This, Z as he calls himself now, wants to destroy this world. I can't let that happen. I did not foresee all this happening. Leaving this dimension must have altered reality to cause this, but at least they're still fighting."

Ryu looks up, determination sparkling in his eyes. "I need to master this telepathy then. I need to return home. I have to help the others. And I have all these new skills I can use. All these new ideas I can implement. I'll have to have Tony show me how to build some things, but once I memorise that, I can help create things that'll stop Galactor, once and for all."

They all grin, before Jean's Phoenix reopens the portal back home. Ryu takes one last look around. "I promise you all, that when I come back, we'll stop Galactor for good." He enters the portal, arriving back in his mind. He blinks when he realises the place was a lot more active than when they left. G. Phoenix whistles. "Your mind has recovered. That trip was good for you it seems."

Ryu grins. "Yeah. I know. I feel better knowing they're still alive. It means that when I return, I can help kick Galactor's ass!"

He gets lightly thwacked on the back of his head by Jean. "Language Ryu."

He rubs his head and whines out as G. Phoenix chuckles. "I get enough reprimands by Janet, you too?"

Chapter End Notes:

A/N: I may not have explained the events in Gatchaman 2 that well. I chalk that up to the fact that there is a script I read while watching it as well as using the wiki entries on the episodes to figure out what was going on. So, yeah.

Changes have been dotted here and there. I mainly focussed on the ending and beginnings of the 3 shows as well as the episodes that was focussed (or mostly so) on Ryu.

Again, please critique honestly, I want to know of any mistakes I've made whether it's spelling or grammar mistakes. Expect the next fic to crop up in a few weeks while I shuffle ahead with the drafts.

~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]