A Man Like Me by Becky Rock, Amethyst
[Reviews - 14] - Table of Contents - [Report This]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

Colonel Cronus pulled into the over-sized truck-stop and knew this trip would be a waste of time.  He had seen places like this on Earth, Riga, and a half dozen other Federation planets.  The parking lot, with room for at least a hundred tractor-trailers or RVs and more than twice as much space for family vehicles, would be considered small for a super-sized stadium. With a motel, coffee shop, deli, family restaurant, convenience store, and other shops, the only thing the place was missing was a casino.  It was unlikely that any would remember Jason, or if they did, that they could tell him anymore than that he had been there.  He had to try though; Anderson expected it.  If their situations were reversed, and it was one of his men missing, Cronus knew that he'd not only expect it, he'd demand it.

  

The jewelry store was situated close to the coffee shop and the restaurant.  A prime location for truckers needing to pick up a gift before returning home or husbands needing to appease a ticked off wife.  Jason didn't fall into either of those categories.  What the hell was the boy doing?  What on earth had he gotten himself into?

  

Scanning the store, he noticed a blonde with long, curly hair, long, fake nails, and too much make-up behind the counter.  As soon as she noticed him, she began to flirt with him.

  

He cut her off.  “Do you remember him or anything about this purchase?”  Cronus showed her a picture of Jason and handed her the credit card bill that went straight to the outpost.

  

“Yeah, I remember him,” she answered.  “That purchase was two weeks ago.  I remember thinking that his fiancée was pretty lucky.”

  

“Fiancée?”  Cronus asked, keeping the surprise out of his voice only because of years of practice.

  

“Yeah,” she explained.  “He didn't have an Enthrallment Knot, so I figured they'd just Enthralled, ya know.”

  

“You're sure it was this man here?”  Cronus held up Jason's picture again.

  

“Positive.  Can't forget eyes that intense.  That's why I thought she was lucky.  Can you imagine those eyes focusing intensely on you?  He was kinda scary, too, though, but then most Gantesens are?  He was real nice, he's not a terrorist or something is he?”

  

Cronus held back a laugh.  “Let's just say he's a person of interest and it's important that we find him right away.”

  

“Is he dangerous?” the clerk asked, intrigued by the investigation.

  

Cronus could tell that she was enjoying this and decided to continue to feed her.  She was cooperating and giving him more answers than he expected, and more questions.  Perhaps if he kept her answering some of his questions, he'd get more answers to the new questions that were developing.  “Oh, he's very dangerous, but unlikely to act unless threatened.”  He watched the excitement war with relief in her eyes.  “What can you tell me about this girl he was with?”

  

“Not much, she never came in and only passed by that I saw.  She was tall, thin but athletic.  Her hair was a fright.  That must've been why he bought her the combs.”  She led Cronus over to the cloisonné display, happy to change the conversation back to the man.  “He bought her a set of these combs.  We don't have any more of the designs he got, except for in the sticks.  You think I should keep them in case he comes back?”

  

Cronus didn't answer, but instead asked another question.  “Where did they go after he left here?”

  

“They went into the coffee shop, I think.  It was a pretty busy day.  I didn't see him again.”

  

“You were looking?

  

“Kinda.  He's Gantesen.  Gotta watch for trouble when their kind comes around, even if they don't start it.”

  

“Thank you,” he told the clerk, handing her a card.  “If you see him or the girl again, would you please call this number?”

  

“Sure, but I don't know if I'd recognize her, but if I see him, I'll definitely call.”

  

“Any help would be appreciated.”  Cronus walked out of the store and to the coffee shop.  It took him half an hour to find someone in the café that recognized Jason and he instantly regretted it.  Most of the information the waiter had corroborated the jewelry clerk's story: He was in about two weeks ago; he was with a tall, athletic looking girl with wild, golden brown hair; they both looked like they'd been camping; they acted like they were Enthralled, but neither had a knot; and they both ate a hearty meal of steak and eggs with mixed fruit.

  

“I only remember them,” the waiter prattled on, “because he was Gantesen.  You gotta watch 'em close, trouble usually follows 'em.  Anyway, when they left quietly and the rest of the day passed normally, I just assumed he was looking for a new start and trying to escape the reputation they got.  We get a lot of those, too.  Feel real sorry for 'em, too.”  He paused for a breath.  “Seemed like nice kids.  They're not in trouble are they?  Should I have reported them?  They're some that think Gantesens should be reported no matter what they're doing.  I never thought that right, though.  Many just ignore them 'til something big happens.  Just gives more fuel to those who want to keep them all locked up or out of the country.  It's been pretty quiet for a good while now.  You think that's suspicious?”

  

Before the waiter could get started again, Cronus stopped him.  “No, no trouble like that.  I just need to talk to him is all.  If you happen to see him, just call me as soon as possible.”  He handed the other man his card and left.  Anderson would have mixed feelings about this report.  The boy was alive, but where was he and what had he got himself into?

  888 

The Celebrant stood in the Great Room facing everyone.  Jaze and Jessi stood in front of him.  Everyone else stood behind them.

  

“The Donigel family thanks you, friends and family, for joining them as they welcome Jaze Tillet into their family,” the Celebrant addressed those gathered in the Donigel house.  “There are few things in life as wonderful as a new Enthrallment, the start of a new family.

  

“It seems like it wasn't that long ago, I was a young Celebrant performing the Welcoming Ceremony for Jessi's older brother, Haro, then her sister, Keeri, and then finally her.  I watched her grow up through the Welcoming Ceremonies for her younger brothers and sisters, and the Parting Ceremonies for her grandparents.

  

“Two years ago, I had the sad duty of performing the Parting Ceremony for a young firefighter who lost her life in the line of duty.  After the young woman's family and superiors came up to thank me, a young probationary firefighter came up to thank me, as the others stayed back.  At first, I was surprised; I didn't recognize her all grown-up and in uniform.  When I noticed her name tag, I understood immediately.  Jessi knew her mother would expect her to follow proper etiquette, even if it meant standing out, and would have been upset with her if she had learned she had not.  Not that I would have said anything.

  

“I've not known Jaze very long at all, but I have no doubt he will be an excellent protector and provider.

  

“Both Jessi and Jaze have requested a short, simple ceremony.

  

“Jessi, do you affirm that you have Enthralled with Jaze of your own free will?”

  

“I have,” she answered with a smile on her face.

  

“Mr. and Mrs. Donigel, do you believe this?”  The Celebrant asked as a matter of formality.

  

“We do,” Rine answered.

  

“Jaze, do you affirm that you have Enthralled with Jessi of your own free will?”

   

“I have,” he answered firmly.

  

“Mr. and Mrs. Adornet, since you are standing in for Jaze's family, do you believe this?”

  

“We do,” Liana answered.

  

“The other day, Jaze and Jessi came to my office to receive their knots.  They will now reveal them.  Jaze, please take Jessi's hand and remove the wrap. Jessi, you will do the same for Jaze when he is done.”

  

Gently, he did as he was told, pulling up the sleeve of her robe and unwrapping the gauze that protected the knot tattooed onto her wrist.  As he did so, the Celebrant read:

  

“Know that no two people can be exactly alike. No more can any two people fit together, perfect in every way. There will be times when it will seem hard to give and to love. But see then your reflection as in a woodland pool, when the image you see looks sad and angered, then know it is the time for you to smile and to love. In return will the image in the pool smile and love.

  

“As the grass of the fields and the trees of the woods bend together under the pressures of the storm, so too must you both bend when the wind blows strong. But know that as quickly as the storm comes, so equally quickly may it leave. Yet will you both stand strong in each other’s strength.  As you give love, so you will receive it. As you give strength, so will you receive strength. Together you are one, apart you are as nothing.”

  

Jaze finished unwrapping Jessi's Knot and she did the same for him as the Celebrant continued reading.

  

“Now you will feel no rain, for each of you will be shelter for the other. Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be warmth to the other. Now there will be no loneliness, for each of you will be companion to the other. Now you are two persons, but there are three lives before you: his life, her life and your life together. Go now to your dwelling place to enter into your days together. And may all your days be good and long upon the Earth.

  

“May your home be filled with laughter and the warm embrace of a summer day.  May you find peacefulness and beauty, challenge, and satisfaction, humor and insight, healing and renewal, love and wisdom, as in a quiet heart.  May you always feel that what you have is enough.”

  

When finished with the reading, the Celebrant held up a book.  “Since our ancestors learned to bind paper, these books have documented family lines.  More than that, though, these books are the legal records of our families.  Traditionally, these books are given to new husbands at their first Enthrallment by his parents.  Liana, Taylon,” the Celebrant called them forward.

  

Liana spoke. “With Keeri's help, we filled this in for you as best as we could, up to this day.  You and Jessi will record the births of your children and other important events your lives and theirs.  You will record your future wives and their children here, too,” she explained as she handed Jaze the book.  Then she gave him a motherly hug and kiss on the cheek, which he awkwardly accepted.  “Welcome to the family,” she whispered before breaking away to give Jessi a hug, too.

  

“Jaze, Jessi, would you please kiss to conclude this ceremony.” As they kissed, the Celebrant continued, “Friends, family, the new Mr. and Mrs. Tillet.”

  888 

Jaze was overwhelmed by what was supposedly a small, family Enthrallment ceremony.  The Donigel's Great Room and dining room were packed.  He hadn't met half of the people there before today and knew even fewer.  Jessi and Keeri had been pulled into the kitchen by their mother, aunts, the rest of the family wives, and a few of the older girls.  As he refilled his drink, he noticed two vaguely familiar men walking towards him.  They looked to be in their earlier forties.

  

“Congratulations, Mr. Tillet.”  One of the men said as he reached out his hand to Jaze.  “Lessack Brandt,” he said, and then as Jaze shook the hand of the second man, he introduced him.  “Meck Cheeter.”  Jaze instantly recognized their names as men Jessi works with.  “Don't worry about them all disappearing,” Brandt added.  “Happens at all Enthrallments.  They want the gossip and to give the new wife useless advice.”

  

“Jessi doing all right?”  Cheeter asked.  “I missed the last shift, and she was pretty shook up after a run the one before that.”

  

“She's all right,” Jaze answered.  He now recognized the men as the ones who watched her leave that shift, but was not sure how much Jessi would want them to know.

  

“Everyone's got their weak spots,” Brandt stated.  “The runs that bother them more than others, the runs that sticks with them.  For some it is the victim, for some it is just the run.  Jessi, she doesn’t like the ones where people are needlessly and vilely cruel to others.”

  

Jaze nodded and all three men took a drink.  It was not a good topic for the occasion.

  

“You gotta tell us one thing,” Cheeter said, changing the subject.  “How'd you Enthrall the girl who swore she wouldn't Enthrall until she made captain?”

  

Jaze choked on his drink.  The question surprised him and in addition to not liking surprises, he did not know how to answer it.  He knew that both Jessi and Keeri were focused on their careers, but he hadn't heard that before.  He was saved from having to answer by Jessi slipping up next to him.  He smiled at her, relieved to be out of the conversation.

  

“Sounds like your conversation has just as much silly gossip as the one I just left,”  Jessi said dryly.  “I think we can go now, unless you want to stay.”

  

“Lead the way.”  Jaze motioned her.

  

She grabbed his hand and they quietly left.  Once in the jeep she said, “Don't worry.  Its common couples to sneak out without saying anything.  It's for the guests to make sure they visit the couple, not vice-versa.”

  

“What now, you never told me what we do after something like this?” he asked as he sat in the driver’s seat of the jeep.  “Do you want to go back to the apartment?”

  

“We could, but I don't think Keeri will expect us.”

  

“Where does she expect us to go?”

  

Jessi thought for a moment.  She knew what others had done, but realized that Jaze was right; they'd never really discussed it.  “Many couples go back to where they Enthralled, but some go someplace new or some other place meaningful.”  She paused.  “You don't want to go back to the beach do you?”  It wasn't that she didn't like the idea; she just didn't think they had that kind of time or were really prepared for it.

  

“Not really,” he said.  “Got any other suggestions.”

  

Relieved, she laughed.  “No, not really.  I've spent the last few weeks just trying to get through til today, and never even thought about tonight.”

  

Not for the first since they'd Enthralled, he wished that they could have just done this the easy way.  The ceremony wasn't uncomfortable, but it wasn't something that he would have chosen.  Most of what made him uncomfortable was watching the stress that it caused in Jessi.  But it was over now.

  

Finally, he asked, “Is the cabin too far?”

  

She kissed him.  “That's perfect.  We've got food in the back from the kitchen, most of the left overs.  We can spend tonight and tomorrow and head straight into work the next day.”

  

“Wouldn't coming home tomorrow be easier?”

  

“Nah, I do it all the time in the summer when Keeri's on break.  It's not something I'd do daily, but every three days isn't bad.”

  

“Then let's go.”  With that, he started the jeep and took off.

  

They were halfway to the cabin when Jessi noticed something odd.

  

“What are those idiots doing out this direction?” she said.

  

Jaze looked around to see who she was talking about.

  

“The ugly brown car heading back towards the city,” Jessi explained.  “There from the Federation Outpost.  It's strange because they rarely leave it and when they do, they are usually getting in our way.  They act like we don't know how to deal with disasters because our technology isn't as advanced as the Federations.”  She paused.  “No, that's not fair, some are really nice, but some are that way and just haven't learned that if they can do their job better if they weren't so busy trying to tell us how to do ours.”

  

“How do you know it was them?” Jaze asked.

  

“Besides the fact that they always have the same ugly brown car, it was the license,” she said as if it were obvious.  “They're issued by our government that thinks it's being efficient by issuing plates based department.”

  

Jaze thought for a moment.  He'd seen the car.  “IGFOP1,”  he stated.  “So what are they doing out here?”

  

“It's strange.  Usually they don't leave the Outpost unless they are asked or if they have information that they think we need.  I haven't heard of anything that would involve them being out this way, or even over in Esotel, but I'll admit that if it doesn't directly involve the fire department, I'll avoid the news as much as possible. . . . Let's change the subject.  How did you remember the license for the car, I barely saw and only noticed because I knew seeing them out this way is odd?”

  

Jaze shrugged.  He had only seen it if for a second, but could recall it perfectly.  And the driver.  He'd seen the driver somewhere before, but didn't want to tell Jessi.  It was getting dark and the guy still had on sunglasses, but there was something else, too.  He just didn't know what.

  

“Maybe you're just good with license plates,” she suggested.  “What's plate for the rig I ride on?”

  

He thought for a moment before answering, “DFDS2E2.”  He paused for a second remembering what she said about the issuing of government plates. “Donotrep Fire Department Station 2 Engine 2.”

  

“You know the pattern, that was too easy? How about this jeep?”

  

“879D62P.”

  

“And Keeri's SUV?”

  

“298D22P.”

  

“And your old blue car?”  She slipped in.  He had been reciting plates by rote, maybe it would open something up.

  

He opened his mouth to start reciting, but didn't say anything.  He frowned and gripped the steering wheel tightly to ease his frustration.

  

“What's wrong?”

  

He tried again and growled, “I can't.  I had it and it was gone.”

  

She reached out to touch him.  He flinched away.  Quickly she drew back.

  

“Sorry,” she muttered.

  

More of the countryside passed as they drove on quickly in silence.  Suddenly, he pulled off the main road and took an obscure dirt road.

  

“Where are you going?”  Jessi's voice was hesitant.  She was curious, but didn't want to frustrate him anymore.  She'd hoped that the game might loosen his memory, but it didn't work.

  

“I don't know, but I've been down this road before.”

  

“Why? There's nothing down the road.  It's just an old fire road that leads to an old abandoned fire camp and more fire roads.”

  

“I don't know,” Jaze growled, stopping the jeep at a fork.  He could remember having been down the road, but he didn't know why.  At the fork, he couldn't remember which way to go.

  

Gently, Jessi laid her hand on his arm.  “Jaze, let's go back to the main road.  The old roads aren't safe after dark.”

  

“Spectrans,” he bit out angrily.

  

“Aliens, or terrorists or both,” she sighed.  “We cut these roads for easier access to wild land fires and they use them against us.  Maybe, if it's really important to you, we can come back when it's bright and sunny, but not now, not this trip.”

  

Jaze relaxed, turned the jeep around and headed back to the cabin.

  

Jessi knew that his memory loss bothered him, even if he did try to hide it, but not as well as he thought.  She wanted to bring up seeing the neurologist again, but knew he'd only try and brush it off.  She couldn't blame him, really.  Seeing a doctor was rarely a good thing.

  888 

Keeri exited the kitchen, needing to get away from the gaggling women. If one more asked when she was going to find her young man, she was going to scream.

  

It was one thing if it was one of her aunts asking. But when women she barely knew who worked with her parents asked, she just wanted to tell them to mind their own business.

  

She felt a hand on her shoulder and turned, ready to snap at whomever it was, but found it to be her father.

  

He was staring at the front door and chuckled. Kerri turned back to see Jessi and Jaze slipping out.

  

“Can’t blame them,” Rine said, squeezing her shoulder affectionately. I’m sure you wish you could follow their example.”

  

Keeri nodded. Her father knew her too well. It would be impolite to voice it, as she was, in a way, one of the hostesses. A responsibility of an eldest daughter.

  

Rine slipped his arm around her waist and guided her towards the double doors that led to the yard. The party had spilled onto the large deck, but few people were there at the moment. She could get some air.

  

Once on the deck, Rine pulled his arm back, allowing her the freedom to go to the railing. She set her arms on the railing, gazing at the tree house that had been made for her and Jessi when they were children. Rine settled beside her.

  

“Your mother and I had only been Enthralled for a month when I noticed Pavanna’s interest,” he said, also staring at the tree house. “They were very close and Pavanna spent nearly every waking moment at our home. Before I knew it, we had Imprinted.”

  

Keeri groaned, wanting to crawl under the deck. Her mother had told him about her Imprinting Jaze?

  

“Dad-” He held up his hand to silence her.

  

“A father can sense such things,” he said, not looking at her so she wouldn’t be soembarrassed. “I was expecting it, actually, when you three decided to keep your livingarrangements.”

  

“I didn’t mean for it to happen,” she said in chagrin.

  

“Nature takes its course,” Rine answered. “You’ve already built a good relationship with Jaze from what I’ve seen. That’s a start.”

  

“I don’t want to take time from Jessi,” she said as she turned to him. Her sister was her main concern.

  “She’ll have her time. She’ll always be Jaze’s First Wife. Just don’t be surprised if you have to hit Jaze over the head to get him to see you’ve Imprinted. We men can be very think headed about Imprinting and Jaze’s head seems to be thinker than most.” With that, Rine turned to return to the house and their guests, leaving Keeri with a slight smile.
~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]