Gatchaman Episode 69 - The Cemetery in the Moonlight by TransmuteJun
[Reviews - 0] - Table of Contents - [Report This]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is a Gatchamania Episode review. Opinions expressed are those of the author.

This episode review is image intensive.

Gatchaman Episode 69 – The Cemetery in the Moonlight

 

It is night in the Shosken Kingdom in the Ohara Desert. Outside the country are cemeteries dating back to ancient times. They appear to be Egyptian (Or would the be ‘Igyptian’?) in design, with massive statues and truncated pyramids dotting the landscape.

 

These ruins capture the imagination of travelers like a certain caravan.

 

But the caravan is made up of soldiers, not tourists. Wait… why is this sounding like the plot of the Brendan Fraser Mummy movie?

The caravan soldiers are on special assignment for the King, and they are about to reach an ancient tomb… dun dun dun…

“We stand at the entrance to an extraordinary tomb!” says the caravan leader. “Inside its ancient walls is a mystery that has been veiled for at least a hundred thousand years! Come!”

Wow… a hundred thousand years? Really? Um, 50,000 years ago the first full Neanderthal man appeared… so we’re talking in the age of the cavemen, before ‘modern’ man had evolved. That’s some secret!

The men get off of their camels, pulling machine guns out of their packs. They enter the temple. The do not appear to notice that the eyes of a large carved animal head are glowing…

Inside the temple we see hieroglyphics and massive Egyptian-style statues. The men enter a giant atrium.

“Sir, it’s a dead end!” says one of the men.

“Don’t you worry about it.” replies the caravan leader. He moves over to the wall, pushing against it with his shoulder until a secret passage is revealed. His men are pleasantly surprised.

Beyond is a very large chamber with a dais. Stairs lead up the dais, and at its top is a set of double doors in the shape of a circle.

“Heh, heh, it’s right over there.” smirks the caravan leader.

The door handles are in the shape of a bird.

 

“This is the secret door which will solve the puzzle.” the caravan leader tells his men. “If I’m correct, behind this door is hidden the secret of the true nature of the evil which disturbs world peace.”

And I have a sinking suspicion that I know what that evil is…

The caravan leader reaches for the door handle, but before he can touch it, ancient braziers burst into blue flames! A deep voice speaks to the men.

“Pass no further.” it warns. “No one has ever left this room alive. Nor shall you…”

Red beams come from the eyes of a statue with a lion head, and the men are literally blown apart.

Cut from BOTP:

 

Remnants of the men’s guns fall to the ground in the explosion’s aftermath.

And suddenly, we see a familiar symbol.

 

Inside the Snack, Jinpei is alone. He sits at the bar, tears falling down his face.

 

Jun arrives with a bag full of baguettes.

 

She sees Jinpei’s shaking shoulders, and is concerned.

 

“Hey, Jinpei, what’s the matter?” she asks. “Why are you crying? Did someone pick on you, or something, today?”

 

Jinpei only bawls louder.

“Oh, I know! You ate a doodlebug again, and now you’ve got a tummy ache!” Jun guesses.

 

“Sometimes you can be so clueless, Sis!” Jinpei tells her. “I was reading this book!”

 

“Wow, you’re crying over a book? I never knew you could be so sentimental, Jinpei!” Jun notes. She has a point. Jinpei doesn’t seem like the ‘cry over a sad story’ type.

 

“But the main character of this story happens to be an orphan, just like me.” Jinpei tells her. “But he’s lucky, because he gets to see his Mom again at the end.”

 

Jun appears to be touched by this explanation.

 

“My Mom is dead, but I really wish I could be some mother’s boy, just so I could know what it’s like, for once!” Jinpei says longingly.

Now if I were Jun, I’d be offended by this, because basically she has been like a mother to him. But instead Jun appears bemused.

 

Their bracelets begin to beep.

“This is G3 here, go ahead!” Jun says.

“This is Nambu. Report to Crescent Coral Base at once.”

“Roger!” Jun replies.

 

She puts down her bag of baguettes and rushes out, calling to Jinpei.

“Jinpei, we’re moving out!”

“A Mom…” Jinpei says sadly, appearing not to hear her. Jun has to call again.

“Jinpei!”

And now we cut to the Daily Fish Parade. Inside the base, the Team is being briefed.

“There’s been a report that Galactor has infiltrated the Shosken Kingdom, located in the Ohara.” Nambu informs them. Today everyone is standing except Ryu, who appears to be tired.

 

“There objective is unclear at the moment. A special ops unit from Shosken, disguised as
a caravan, attempted to investigate Galactor’s activities. But it appears all the men have gone missing.” Nambu goes on.

Everyone is surprised to hear this.

 

“Gone missing? In the desert?” Ken asks.

“Say, Doctor, is there something valuable in that desert, or something?” Joe asks.

“That I don’t know.” Nambu admits. “About the only thing I’m aware of out there are some ancient tombs.”

“Hmmm, I see.” Ryu says, leaning back. “The Shosken Kingdom is very famous for its many ancient tombs.”

“What are ancient tombs, Bro?” Jinpei asks Ken. Clearly this kid has missed out on some schooling. And some monster movies.

 

“Graves where ancient people are buried.” Ken explains.

 

“Graves, huh?” Jinpei is disappointed. “That just reminds me. I haven’t visited my Mom’s grave in far too long.”

“You Mom?” Ken is surprised. “Hey, what’s the matter with you, Jinpei?”

“He’s been reminiscing about his mother, lately.” Jun tells Ken.

 

“Jinpei, you can make a nice, long visit after this mission.” Joe smirks, casually sitting down next to Ryu.

 

“Now, let’s get down to business!” Nambu orders. “Science Ninja Team, make way for the Kingdom of Shosken!”

 

Awwww…. and Joe just got all comfy on the couch.

“Roger!”

 

The God Phoenix bursts out of the water surrounding the Crescent Base, and there’s even a rainbow present. Another rainbow is present as they fly over a waterfall at their destination. What’s with all of the rainbows today? Was it Gay Price month at Tatsunoko Studios when they animated this episode?

The narrator tells us that the Shosken Kingdom is a poor country, with 80% of its land covered by mountain ranges and deserts. The five members of the Science Ninja Team blended into the crowd to look for signs of Galactor.

 

Ryu seems to be especially interested in investigating this woman.

 

The evil hands of Galactor are creeping up on this quiet land. But fortunately, the Team is checking things out.

 

 

“Man, this sure is a happening town!” Jinpei says as he looks around the marketplace. “If Galactor ends up being here, that would totally stink!”

 

“Something smells yummy!” Jinpei exclaims, and like Sam the Toucan, he follows his nose…

 

I know, I know, I just dated myself with that reference…

“Welcome, boy.” says the woman at the roasted corn stand. “Would you like… aaah!” She screams at the sight of Jinpei.

“Ah, that really smells amazing!” Jinpei says, and then he becomes aware of her shock. “What gives? What’s the matter, lady?”

The woman is so shocked that her roasted corn falls from her hand.

 

~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]