Gatchfanfic.com
Fanfic Home * Fanart Gallery * Fandom Forum * Writing Reference * Live Chat * Links * Login * Logout * Register
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

May 05, 2024, 06:38:34 PM
gfxgfx
gfxgfx

Technical Tip: The "Author Bio" is now located off of the Efiction side in "Account Info: Edit Preferences".  The "Edit Bio" will now bring you to your Forum Profile.
gfxgfx

gfx* Home Help Search Login Register ChatMembers in chat: gfx
Gatchaman Fanfic Archive  |  Discussion  |  Fanfic Discussion and Writing (Moderators: cathrl, Dei, Veronika)  |  Challenge in a Can 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Challenge in a Can  (Read 13311 times)
Julieann
Administrator
Gatchatot

View Profile WWW
« on: May 01, 2008, 02:02:20 AM »

Something from over at Fanlib.com inspired this, so blame them.  Tongue

Challenge:

I'll pick three random words to start this out. The first person who writes a snippet (up to 100 words, more or less) using all three words, posting it to this thread, gets to pick the next three words. You can choose words from the dictionary or just off the top of your head. Put the words at the bottom of your post and make them clearly visible.

WORDS: Cross, Cow, Awash

Julieann

Who needs a Gun when you have a Sonic Boomerang?
katsesama
Cannon Fodder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 04:18:39 AM »

While wandering through a field awash with buttercups, the cow reached a creek and wondered how to cross.

Did I do it right?  Good words.

If I did, I submit the following words: siren, stealth, apricot
Ebonyswanne
Quanto-Tobor Rep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 05:25:56 AM »

Jason's eyes darted around the great auditorium, he had to find a way across without being seen by the thousands of Spectra's filling the room. It was his one chance to get to Zoltar and her wasn't going to blow it.

A siren went off, and he jumped from the sudden sound Piercing  his ears and blowing his chances of taking Zoltar, he curses as the purple villian fled the room. All stealth was lost now because of the goon who was looking directly into his eyes.

"Do you want an Apricot?" The Condor offered him the overripe piece of fruit. Casually, the goon extended his arm to take it. In the mean time  Jason put a feather between his teeth, and pulled out his cable gun quietly.

He he'd found the apricot in a fruit bowl in Zoltars office. He's planned to throw it at Zoltar, out of spite. Ahh...  what the heck he though, he pelted it hard at the goon anyway.

The next thing he knew a bomb exploded and the Eagle and the Swan flew into the room....

(Excuse any errors, I had to do this fast...)

WORDS: Cheque, car, fire.
Katharine
Cannon Fodder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 12:24:25 PM »

cheque, car, fire...

Okay, here's what happened: to transport Jalon Stubinek, the Gallactor commander who initiated the Gallapagos strike last month, over to Pelican Bay, someone thought it'd be a good idea to move him in an unmarked van up the 101 instead of flying him in.  The rationale was that going undercover would avoid an attempt to break him loose.  However, those same people seemed to forget that in driving, one must make occasional stops to provide relief to said prisoner, whereas if they'd flown him over, they could have used facilities on the craft.  Well, coming up the onramp out of a rest-stop, Stubinek tries to kill his guard and the driver, causing the driver to lose control and crash into a Toyota Camry in the breakdown lane with a flat tire, which in turn started a fire on the side of the road, which is why, sir, I need a cheque in the amount of $2.6 million dollars to reimburse the United States Forest Service for fire suppression expenditures for the six-thousand-acre Mad River Fire, and to replace the car.

No sir, no civillian injuries.  Yes, sir, the guard and driver escaped unharmed.

Stubinek?  Oh, he's dead.  He bumped his head in the crash and died on route to the hospital. 

Thank you for the cheque, sir.  Yes, not a bad outcome altogether.

Words for next challenge: shining, delicate, ardour.  Difficulty: submission can NOT be a shipper/romance fic.   Big Grin
Julieann
Administrator
Gatchatot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 12:43:25 PM »

Hah, good one, Katharine!

Words: shining, delicate, ardour

The shining sun felt a little too intense for this time of year. If I were really paranoid, I would think Spectra had something to do with such early high temperatures. But for today, I have other things on my mind.

Like getting the pistons of my plane timed correctly. It was at times like this that I wished Center Neptune took care of all the maintenance. The pistons themselves weren't the problem. Instead it involved the delicate sensors that surrounded and infiltrated every part of the engine. I swear, they were as independent minded as Zark when he decides something needs redesigning.

Now, there was something to be paranoid about. Did Quanto Tobor labs create these sensors as well? Good grief, they designed an egocentric hubcap with the ardour of a teenager. It was rather disturbing to know he also oversaw, and in some cases controlled most, of the entire Early Warning System.

Yeah, I could get very paranoid about that...

New Words: tinfoil, handicap, handgun

Julieann

Who needs a Gun when you have a Sonic Boomerang?
Katharine
Cannon Fodder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 05:10:01 PM »

Where is everybody?  Dei, Diinzumo, Jane?  Helloooo...?

Okay: tinfoil, handicap, handgun.  I'll try to do this with the words in the order presented.

I have designed many weapons but none are as specialized as the G-2's sidearm.  Its most unique feature is that it can convert from traditional ballistic function to a cutting torch with the use of two compact pressurized fuel canisters contained in the grips.  In either use, the G-2's target is cut like tinfoil.  Its only handicap is that the cannisters last only five minutes and refueling involves removing the grips; so far we have no way to easily replace them in the field.  Despite this shortcoming, the handgun remains a formidable weapon, but it's not my greatest design. 

You should see its next generation.

Next up:  slipstream, eviscerator, poodle.  Not pink.
lborgia88
Cannon Fodder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 03:33:37 AM »

I'll take a stab at this.

“Ken, the mission briefing said we only had to pretend to be grad students.”

“We’ll blow our covers wide open if we don’t at least do the assigned reading.”

“Why couldn’t Nambu have placed us in the same department?  I’d figured I could let you do the work and just coast in your slipstream.”

“Joe, grad students don’t really read books, they just ‘gut’ them.”

“Condor Joe, Eviscerator of Books?  I don’t think so!  I don’t see you doing any book reviews for Mechanical Engineering.”

“Read the damn book.  How bad can British History be?”

“It’s called ‘Mr Balfour’s Poodle’!”

New words:  coincidence, watermelon, hairbrush
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 03:41:52 AM by lborgia88 » Logged
Nephedra
Fan Flunkie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 01:51:21 AM »

okay - i will give this a shot

words i had to use:  coincidence, watermelon, hairbrush

Princess sat at her small dressing table and rummaged through the drawer to find that special hairbrush, the one that would not pull her wet hair out.  She finally tugged it loose from the tangle of hairbands and clips, but in the process sent them flying across the room to hit the wall.  She sighed.   

She glanced at the white shirt on her bed, stained watermelon pink.  I really hope that comes out, or Keyop owes me a new blouse, she mused tugging on a knot in her hair.   It could be a coincidence, but Mark just happened to walk into the Snack when Keyop had his little accident carrying the tray of fruit juice and fresh hot home made carmel corn for his friends.  She was sure she saw Mark crack a smile when she told David that she would have to postpone their date in order to get the goo out of her hair.

New words:  amethyst, baboon, skyscraper

"Remember; no matter where you go, there you are."- B. Banzai
Ebonyswanne
Quanto-Tobor Rep

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 12:08:56 PM »

“No…” Ken cried as the condor once again disobeyed an order. The Condor ran out of the bridge of the God Phoenix and out onto the wings of the war ship.

“I have a chance at this god damn it!” He yelled looking the mecha that loomed in close to city. Ken had been playing it far to cool for his liking.

Looking down from his vantage point on the God Phoenix, Joe spied the skyscraper outside of the city.

Perfect he thought. Leaping from the ship he glided to the top of the tall building. Looking up he watched Ryu turn to meet the mecha head on.

It was then that he spotted the Amethyst, the very key the contact had told him that could destroy the mecha that threatened to destroy Sydney… it had the vital chip and he told him it could be found there.

Joe picked it up, he held it up to the light…sure enough it…he watched it reflect the sunlight.

A stray beam hit the mecha…

The mecha exploded, falling from the sky just outside of the city.

Satisfied with the results the Condor walked to the edge of the towering building. Fearless he spread his mantle and leapt of the top of the building free falling to the ground. 

At the bottom he was met by the Eagle, his stern face told Joe had once again over stepped his boundaries…

“Why didn’t you tell me about the Amethyst?” Ken asked.

“Well…it started with that Baboon we met…” Joe began.

The Eagle’s face softened…and then he began to laugh.

Joe knew his description fitted the guy that he interragated… and once again they had claimed another victory from Galactor.

New Words; Idiot, wine glass, chocolate cake.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 12:11:22 PM by Ebonyswanne » Logged
Nephedra
Fan Flunkie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 07:01:26 PM »

ah!  I am so glad someone responded to this.  Clap 

I thought I killed it!  Nicely done Ebony. Big Grin

Ebonyswanne
Quanto-Tobor Rep

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 10:15:07 AM »

Thanks!

Wink Anytime... now its your turn!!
Nephedra
Fan Flunkie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 04:07:27 PM »

I can't believe I am doing this again....why are these so easy but finishing my fanfic so hard! 

Idiot, wine glass, chocolate cake

Zoltar sat in his study lingering over a glass of red wine, a dour expression on his face.  Mala watched him closely from her spot on the settee.  She knew that he was sulking.  Uncharacteristically, he had been nursing the last of his drink for an hour.  Three losses in a week were difficult.  The most recent failure was unforgivable.  The Great Spirit was angry beyond words.   Even she had been forced to endure the punishment in the hopes that her brother would take more care in the future in order to spare her such mental torment.  Surely her brother would try to spare her? 

Zoltar shifted his position in his chair.  Mala cocked her head to the left, wondering if she should dare break the silence. Without warning Zoltar bounded up, throwing his wine glass against the wall.  Glass exploded in the room.  Red wine dripped down the wall.

"Those idiots!  I should put them all out of their misery!" he shouted, recalling the reason for the aardvark mecha failure.  An internal control error.  They did it to themselves.  G-force was not even within 1000 miles of them.

Mala smiled.  Finally, her brother had returned to her.  She stood and greeted her brother at the center of the room placing her hand on his shoulder squelching a smirk.  "Perhaps. Or you could just prevent them from having any more chocolate cake."

Zoltar squinted at his sister, trying to control his rage.  "It was my birthday!  They ruined my mecha on my birthday by getting frosting in the controls!"

New words:  juniper, toadstool, projection

Ebonyswanne
Quanto-Tobor Rep

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 03:07:48 AM »

I loved the way you wrote it!!! I think they call this procrastination from writing ficcies... this is off the cuff, so sorry for any errors...... Smile

Princess closed her tired strained eyes turning her thoughts back to the mission they had just completed on the new colony of Juniper. Slowly she began to remove her helmet to relieve the pressure of the mounting headache.

"Prin, that's not such a good idea." Mark said looking back at her.

"I have a ripper of headache Mark..." She said continuing to take off her helmet slowly.

"Could it have been from that projection?" He asked walking over to her. Her long ebony hair fell loosely around her shoulders,"It could have been, since I coped the brunt of it's force."

The projection had been more than just a silhouette of a massive creature, it had some other power inside of it. Princess saw what it could do just in time to throw herself over Keyop spreading her wings to protect his small body from the laser beam. With her helmet off she became even more woozy... "No..." she gasped falling from her seat, she heard Jason say something about toadstools

Princess felt Mark picking her up off the ground. "Princess... stay with us. Jason call to base tell them to have emergency medical on standby."

"The forced her to eat one of them..." Jason told Mark.

"Did you get a sample?" Mark asked through the intercom.

"Yes, " Tiny reassured him as he laid her down on table.

"Good, Princess hold on honey...we'll be home soon and then you'll be in good hands." Mark brushed back her hair.

Feeling suddenly happy and delirous she threw her arms around his neck and kissed him passionately. "Mark, I have wanted to that for so long..."

"Jason... whatever is in those toadstools... I think it's harmless...." Mark grinned. "I want a supply of them growing in the garden at the shack, forget medical...I know just what she needs." He grinned as she pulled back into another kiss...

"Oh no, they made you eat them too, didn't those damn Spectrans.." The Condor looked at his commander, a slow smile creeping across his ruggard features....

warrior, maiden, sacrifice.

Nephedra
Fan Flunkie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 01:01:34 AM »

aaaaahhhh - i can't do it. 

The first thing that pops into my head is a twisted version of Zena Warrior Princess - maiden of destruction with her pal Gabby who is willing to make the ultimate sacrfice.  Ouch

So not related to BOTP at all!   Bang Head

maybe tomorrow...when there is less decongestant and advil in my system....maybe....
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 01:04:13 AM by Nephedra » Logged

Ebonyswanne
Quanto-Tobor Rep

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 04:54:36 AM »

I didn't think of it like that, I just put in the first words that came to mind. I was actually thinking about the Condor at the time   Wink hahahaa
Gatchaman Fanfic Archive  |  Discussion  |  Fanfic Discussion and Writing (Moderators: cathrl, Dei, Veronika)  |  Challenge in a Can « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Jump to: