Gatchaman Episode 93 - Counterattack! The Underground Torpedo Operation by TransmuteJun
[Reviews - 0] - Table of Contents - [Report This]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is a Gatchamania Episode review. Opinions expressed are those of the author.

This episode review is image intensive.

Gatchaman Episode 93 – Counterattack! The Underground Torpedo Operation

 

We see a stormy sky, covered with dark clouds. But as we pull back, we realize that it is not a storm, but smoke from the destruction of the Crescent Base.

“The Crescent Coral Reef Base, destroyed by Galactor’s surprise attack, has sunk to the bottom of the ocean’s abyss.” the narrator tells us. “It has been the heaviest blow to Dr. Nambu and the Team since the beginning of their long war with Galactor.”

We see Katse’s triumphant image superimposed over the ocean waters.

“I finally did it!” Katse gloats. “I ripped out the heart of Gatchaman, and destroyed the Crescent Coral Base with my own hands! Yes! Oh yes…”

 

And as we move under the dark waters, we can see that Katse’s sea dragon mecha still lies in wait. Inside, Katse is planning his next move.

 

Is it just me, or does Katse want to be Captain Kirk?

A CotW walks up to Katse. He’s dressed in what is clearly a fish costume. Maybe his mission is to infiltrate the Daily Fish Parade? For good measure, ADV dubbed him speaking in a blubbery ‘underwater’ kind of voice.

“Berg Katse, we couldn’t find anything of use in the wreckage of the Crescent Base.” Fish Captain blubbers.

 

“I see.” Katse replies flatly. “Well, I suppose that can’t be helped, especially since the Crescent Base was obliterated.”

“Er… exactly, Sire!” Fish Captain replies nervously. “The fire…”

“I’ll report to Leader X immediately.” Katse says, walking out of the room. “I’ll bet I get an ‘atta boy’ this time!” I am ROFL 2 at this line! In the subs, it says ‘I bet I’ll be praised.’ I think I prefer the ADV version on this. Wink

“In the belly of a Galactor baby…” Katse begins singing and dancing. No, I’m not kidding.

 

“So, you’re saying the virtually invincible Science Ninja Team lie in a watery grave?” X asks, clearly suspicious of this information.

 

“You overestimate the power of the Science Ninja Team, great Leader!” Katse replies. “They’re only made of flesh and blood. They weren’t invincible after all.”

 

“Let me see your proof, Katse.” X still isn’t willing to take Katse’s word for it.

“I destroyed the base, what more could you ask for?” Katse gets snippy. “I should be praised, rather than berated with all these suspicions.”

 

“So, no proof them.” X surmises.

 

“Come on!” Katse screams. “Would it really hurt you to say, ‘Atta boy, Katse! Thank you!’ and give me a shiny medal or something?”

 

“I’m not convinced.” X snarls. “You’ve been wrong before.”

“Okay, then.” Katse sighs. “I’ll be sure to bring you proof that the Science Ninja Team is dead and gone. How’s that?”

“You have my leave.” X replies. So Katse does.

“The slightest compliment goes straight to his head!” X chuckles nastily. “Better to keep him angry.”

 

Now we see the sun setting, outside of Nambu’s villa.

 

“Meanwhile, Dr. Nambu and the Science Ninja Team, having retreated to cope with the setback of losing the Crescent Base, are lost in thought.” the narrator says.

 

“What should we do?” Nambu thinks to himself. “Even if I wanted to protect the colossal ISO, I don’t even have a means of communicating at this point.”

So this bothers me for a couple of reasons. First of all, ‘even if he wanted to protect the ISO’? What, suddenly Nambu doesn’t care about the ISO anymore? This seems out of character.

Also, why can’t he communicate? Doesn’t he have a transmitter, or a computer, or heck, even a phone at his villa?

“We have lost all of the data on the Mantle Project as well, along with the manufacturing plant of our Super Bird Missiles.” Nambu thinks sadly. He turns to looks at the depressed Team behind him.

“Joe, how many Super BMs do we have left in our arsenal?” Nambu asks.

Joe’s answer is visual.

 

No, he’s not giving Dr. Nambu the finger, he’s saying that there’s 1 Super BM left. Wink

“Hmmm…. I see.” Nambu sighs.

 

“So, Doctor, what do you think should be our next course of action?” Ken asks.

 

“There’s no question about it!” Joe snarls. “We just have to fight!”

 

“But with only one Super Bird Missile to fire?” Jun asks. Sheesh, Jun, it’s not like you can’t do anything else… sigh.

“Yeah, we won’t be able to crush Galactor’s iron mechas!” Jinpei adds.

 

Have these people completely forgotten about Science Ninja Technique: Firebird?

“Ah… game over, man!” Ryu moans.

“As long as I have arms and legs, I’m fighting Galactor to the end!” Joe declares angrily.

 

“I understand how you feel, Joe.” Ken says. “But we can’t defeat Galactor with just our bodies and will to fight.”

 

“We have to destroy them, somehow!” Ken pulls at his hair in despair.

 

“Well, then…” Joe smirks. “So much for all that talk of ‘wisdom and courage being all we need’.” Way to kick a man when he’s down, Joe.

Ken’s response is interrupted by a strange ringing sound. Why… it’s… a phone! Dr. Nambu can communicate with the outside world after all! Who would have thought? Doh2

“Yes?” Nambu says, answering the phone. “What? Galactor’s iron beast mecha?” He’s screaming by the time he’s done.

Everyone gasps in shock!

 

 

 

 

Sure enough, a new fish mecha is heading toward an unsuspecting seaside town. The fish opens its mouth, and missiles come shooting out. It’s not long before the buildings are all turned to rubble.

Katse laughs.

 

“Give the order to deploy, Doctor!” Ken demands, back at Nambu’s villa.

 

“That’s right!” Joe agrees.” We still have one Super BM, so let’s drop it on the mecha beast!”

 

Jun, Jinpei and Ryu stand up happily.

“Let’s go!” Ken calls, as they race out of the room.

 

“Hold it!” Nambu stops them. “I’m not prepared to give you the order to deploy for battle. You will all stand down.”

“But Doctor!” Ken is aghast.

 

“Galactor is attacking a city geared toward tourism,” Nambu explains, “which has no strategic value. It’s not our jurisdiction. We’re going to leave it to the UN Forces.”

“Doctor, are you completely out of your mind?” Ken’s not happy about this.

 

“Even if there’s no strategic value, there are 300,000 people in that city!” Jun says. And I’m impressed she knows this, because so far, I don’t even know which city it is.

 

“We can’t just let them die!” Jinpei insists.

“I think the Doc’s lost his nerve since we lost the Crescent Coral Base!” Ryu snaps angrily. Okay, IMHO that’s a bit too far, but I get that Ryu is emotional.

 

“We still have one Super Bird Missile left.” Ken repeats. “Give us the order to deploy!”

 

“I can’t do that.” Nambu mutters, refusing to meet Ken’s eye.

 

“Damn it, I’m going!” Joe says. “No matter what you say, I’m out of here!”

 

He moves to leave, and Jinpei follows.

“I’m right behind you!” he cries.
~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]