Gatchfanfic.com
Fanfic Home * Fanart Gallery * Fandom Forum * Writing Reference * Live Chat * Links * Login * Logout * Register
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

April 19, 2024, 03:54:01 AM
gfxgfx
gfxgfx

Tip for submitting Fanfic: There is a new co-author field. Start typing a name in the top box and a drop-down menu will appear with choices! Click on a name and it will appear in the co-author box.
gfxgfx

gfx* Home Help Search Login Register ChatMembers in chat: gfx
Gatchaman Fanfic Archive  |  Discussion  |  Fanart (Moderators: cathrl, Dei, Veronika)  |  Fanart Favorite Medium 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fanart Favorite Medium  (Read 12439 times)
Julieann
Administrator
Gatchatot

View Profile WWW
« on: April 05, 2008, 02:05:03 AM »

Everyone has their favorite. Pencils, colored pencils, watercolor, strictly computer art, or a mixture of all sorts of medium. What is your favorite?

Julieann

Who needs a Gun when you have a Sonic Boomerang?
Springie
Quanto-Tobor Rep

I am a wife, mother of two, a former Third Grade t

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 01:07:54 AM »

For me, I just enjoy good old fashioned pencil sketching. I tend to mess it up when I color it. But, since I am new at Photoshop, I do enjoy trying to color my pics on the computer.

As far as others' pics are concerned, it doesn't matter to me what medium they use. I just look at content and facial expressions...and I try to learn from them. I am so happy to have such fabulous artists' work to look at. You guys rock!  Grin
Reboekah
Quanto-Tobor Rep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 01:25:43 PM »

Portable trumps all other media for me...

These days, it is pencil on paper for the initial sketch - ink it to line art when there is time - scan in the clean line art - fiddle in Photoshop - and eventually go back to the line art to ink in the details...

I also adore fiddling with color pencils... but these days I need the speed and limited space requirements. Trying for artwork while travelling is challenging enough!

-Boeke

-Boeke
Julieann
Administrator
Gatchatot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 02:08:00 AM »

... but these days I need the speed and limited space requirements. Trying for artwork while travelling is challenging enough!

-Boeke

I know  what you mean. When I was on the truck, traveling coast to coast, the only way I got any art done at all was with the Wacom tablet hooked up to the computer. It took that extreme to get me comfortable working with it.

Julieann

Diinzumo
Fan Flunkie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 06:42:29 PM »

The medium I use depends on the type of piece. Some pics call for plain pencil while others have called for watercolor or charcoal. Not that I can always successfully pull off a piece using a specific medium!

My current choice is watercolor pencils on charcoal paper. I've been getting some good color results even though I'm not 100% happy with the textures.

Someday I'll do more digital work. It's just that I'm using a mouse now, and that's tedious.  A friend once compared drawing with a mouse to drawing with a bar of soap.
jublke
Cannon Fodder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 06:46:56 PM »

I don't draw often, but when I do it's either in pencil or charcoal.  I agree with Springie, I tend to mess things up when I color them. 

FYI -- Our nice new gallery inspired me to try my very first fan art.  <bows at Julieann>

Springie
Quanto-Tobor Rep

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 10:36:06 PM »

And you did great, Julie! Keep at it! I'd love to see more! Grin
Julieann
Administrator
Gatchatot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 10:44:54 PM »

I don't draw often, but when I do it's either in pencil or charcoal.  I agree with Springie, I tend to mess things up when I color them. 

For color, have you played with digital color? Then you don't mess up the original.  Smile

Of course, digital art has its own learning curve...  Undecided

Julieann

Springie
Quanto-Tobor Rep

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 10:52:25 PM »

Yes it does! And I am still learning...but it's fun!
jublke
Cannon Fodder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 03:14:45 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement, Springie.  I posted a new one of the Swan.  Smile  I haven't drawn anything in a long time.  In fact, I found our lost pencil sharpener in my art box.  (We hadn't seen it in over a year!)

As per your comment, Julieann, I just bought Photoshop today so, we'll see.  I'm looking forward to being able to actually edit my photos. Grin
Ebonyswanne
Quanto-Tobor Rep

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 09:28:32 PM »

I get too impatient with photoshop... So when I do draw, which isn't often any more so I'm rusty. Its just pencil on paper...
Springie
Quanto-Tobor Rep

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 09:13:48 PM »

I say... practice makes perfect, Ebony! Let's see some more of those piccies!  Yay
katsesama
Cannon Fodder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 04:17:26 AM »

I'm most comfortable with pencils (plain b&w and colored), inks (I worked with the old dip-the-quill-in-the-ink pens for years as a young artiste  Bouquet), and digital art.  I'm passingly comfortable with watercolor and acrylics, but not enough that I've done fanart in them.

Most of my fanart is drawn-by-hand and then scanned so I can color digitally. 

It gives it a more cel-like appearance, and if I screw up or don't like how something came out, I can do it again!

I think a Wacom tablet is pretty crucial to art on the computer, though I also have a Tablet PC, which also works well (and is more portable so I can crash on the couch in front of my TV  Wink  People who come over and want to play with my drawing toys always find the Tablet PC much easier to use, because you're actually drawing on the screen. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 04:19:19 AM by katsesama » Logged
Julieann
Administrator
Gatchatot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 01:06:43 AM »

Great step by step pics, katsesama!  Clap

Julieann

Barrdwing
Fan Flunkie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 10:28:07 PM »

I get along great with a pencil, but lack experience in just about everything else.  Which is frustrating, because when I scan in a pencil drawing, it looks like a bad photocopy.  <sigh>  I got to play with Julieann's tablet and inking program during Comic-Con, and while I sure wasn't very good with it I can at least see lots of advantages to using something like that.  I can't tell you how many renditions I've screwed up while trying to ink them . . . it's sad.  I'm a regular Charlie Brown when it comes to ink pens.  The tablet at least protects the original pencil, and if you screw up you can erase and go back.  Smile

Color . . . well, I'm starting to experiment with acrylic paints.  So long as I don't mind things looking rather abstract, they seem to be a good medium for getting some color on that page!  Colored pencils seem like an obvious choice, but often they don't saturate the colors the way I want them to.  I really should take a nice art class, though, and learn how to use the basic tools better.  I keep getting the feeling that I'm missing something!  Dont Know
Gatchaman Fanfic Archive  |  Discussion  |  Fanart (Moderators: cathrl, Dei, Veronika)  |  Fanart Favorite Medium « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Jump to: