Gatchfanfic.com
Fanfic Home * Fanart Gallery * Fandom Forum * Writing Reference * Live Chat * Links * Login * Logout * Register
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

October 31, 2014, 04:30:45 AM
gfxgfx
gfxgfx

Found a Glitch: If you are a new member and are posting a fanfic, DO THIS FIRST: Go to the Fanfic side of the website and then go into "Account Info": " Edit Preferences" and set up your settings. Then Save! THEN go and post Fanfic. By setting up your preferences first, the Software will properly count you as an Author.
gfxgfx

gfx* Home Help Search Login Register ChatMembers in chat: gfx
Gatchaman Fanfic Archive  |  Discussion  |  Fanfic Discussion and Writing (Moderators: cathrl, Dei, Veronika)  |  Favourite & least favourite genres to write in 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favourite & least favourite genres to write in  (Read 766 times)
Victoria
Fan Flunkie

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2011, 11:17:59 PM »

I've just been wondering a bit. What's your favourite and least favourite genre to write in and why? (doesn't matter if fanfic or not)

My favourite genre is psychology and psychological horror. I love sifting through characters' psyche, thinking about their good and bad qualities and how their past shaped them. Since I'm fond of reading books on psychiatry and psychoanalysis, I like to apply what I've learned there. The bigger extremes in the character's mind, the better. Especially if there is some major trauma or eldritch abomination involved.

On the other hand, my weakest point has to be romance. I don't believe I'm capable to write a believable love story. I've read maybe two such books some twelve years ago and watched a single one romantic movie (City of Angels, which I found rather funny) Or maybe I'm just too lazy. I do include love in my stories from time to time, I just don't elaborate on it.

Special mention goes to action scenes. I love and hate them at the same time, since I need to plan out the whole choreography in my head. But they are definitely fun to write.

So how about you guys?

There are sliding doors and there are secret doors. There are doors that lock and doors that don't.
There are doors that let you in and out but never exit. But there are trap doors that you can't come back from.
jublke
Cannon Fodder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 03:27:58 PM »

Hm, good question.  I'd have to say that my least favorite genre is horror.  Even when I've come up with a good horror idea, I don't feel comfortable writing it down.  I'm not great with romance either, although I'm trying to improve.  I'd love to do a better job with humor, too, but I know it isn't my strong suit.  I'm not sure about a favorite genre.  I love to read mysteries, but I haven't quite figured out how to write them yet.  I default to hurt/comfort angsty sort of fanfic, but I'm trying to learn to downplay that in favor of a lighter tone.  If you get done reading one of my stories and feel like the world is a better place afterward, I feel like I've done my job. 
Julieann
Administrator
Gatchatot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 07:58:10 PM »

My favorite over-all genre (other than science fiction) is adventure. Going out, immersing in the universe and the characters, with a big dab of amazement and fun. Then would be mystery and romance. Heck, I love all of the above in the same story.

Least favorites are horror and dystopia, as the world is dark enough. I read for entertainment and seeing the darkness, much less immersing myself in it, is not my idea of entertainment.

And absolutely worst? Stories that hang on a 'sparkly idea' to the detriment of all else. Where the characters don't matter, the world doesn't matter, and to be blunt, the reader doesn't matter. I love science fiction, but I have to say a lot of SF is guilty of this. Ick. Bury it in the back yard, please.

The great thing about this archive is the variety. There's a little bit of everything for everyone no matter their likes or dislikes. We have some pretty amazing fanfic writers.

Julieann

Who needs a Gun when you have a Sonic Boomerang?
Cricket
Fan Flunkie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 01:57:38 AM »

My favourite to write is space opera. Focus on a few people at a key part of a large tapestry. They often don't begin as a key part, but by the end the stakes are that high. I hope to branch out to urban fantasy as well; it requires less world-building than fantasy.

So far, I include a strong romance thread. The characters grow in many ways, and one of them is romance. It doesn't take over the book, though. If you remove it, you still have a sold plot and character growth. It's the icing on the cake -- and we all know what the kids say if you skip the icing. The romance can be created during the book, or it can exist at the start.

I also don't like horror, or stories that "could be real". Even though The Matrix was a good movie, it left me shaking. Maybe it's real? I hate dystopian stories, but am glad I was forced to read a few in school. They made me appreciate the non-dystopian stories more, and a properly complex setting has dystopian features.

I overdid angst and need to learn to include it in the mix. Pure hurt/comfort stories bother me, but, again, a bit in the mix is also good.

Humour is a challenge for me. Most humour authors start well, then overdo it. Since three silly things in a row worked in the first few books, they try four. I try to put in the odd bit now and then, more of a smile or in-joke with the reader than something actually funny.

Action is also a challenge. I was decent, but think I'm ready to do better.

I used to enjoy the Holmes, but now I want to care about the characters more than the mystery. Laurie R King rules! Like all else, it can be an important part of the mix. My current story has one and I need to use it more. However, I started with the characters, setting and emotional arcs. The plot and mystery grew from there.
Gatchaman Fanfic Archive  |  Discussion  |  Fanfic Discussion and Writing (Moderators: cathrl, Dei, Veronika)  |  Favourite & least favourite genres to write in « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to: