Gatchfanfic.com
Fanfic Home * Fanart Gallery * Fandom Forum * Writing Reference * Live Chat * Links * Login * Logout * Register
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

April 18, 2024, 05:05:55 PM
gfxgfx
gfxgfx

New Forum Board: We have a new board specifically for discussing, announcing or showing off endeavors that are in other fandoms or your original work!
gfxgfx

gfx* Home Help Search Login Register ChatMembers in chat: gfx
Gatchaman Fanfic Archive  |  Discussion  |  Original/Other Fandoms (Moderators: cathrl, Dei, Veronika)  |  Favorite Writerly Books? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Writerly Books?  (Read 6650 times)
katsesama
Cannon Fodder

View Profile WWW
« on: May 25, 2008, 03:32:00 AM »

I have several shelves filled with writers' books, some of which I found far more useful than others.  I am curious about what others have on their shelves.  What are your favorite writerly books?  Which ones do you pull off the shelf more than others?  What do you like best about them?

I'm not in front of my bookshelf to make a complete list, but I know I have shared before that some of the books that were really pivotal for me as a writer were the ones that taught me to edit, including Make Your Words Work (Gary Provost) and Self-Editing for Fiction Writers (Renni Browne and Dave King).

I am currently reading Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott because I have heard about it so many times.  She makes some nice points about how writing doesn't come easy, even to the masters, and that you have to sit down and write, not just want to write or think about writing.
Ebonyswanne
Quanto-Tobor Rep

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 06:11:18 AM »

Thats one of my issues...I think the story at times instead of just writing it....
katsesama
Cannon Fodder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 01:54:07 AM »

I can't tell anyone about the story before I write it, or else the story has been told and I never write it!  I learned that lesson quickly!

Ok, now I'm in front of my bookshelf.  Here is my list of writerly books I like best.  (I have a LOT of writers' books!)

NAMES

Character-naming sourcebook by Kenyon w/ Blythe and Sweet

EDITING

Make Your Words Work - Provost
Write Tight - Brohaugh
Revision - Kaplan

RESEARCH

Macmillan Visual Dictionary
Merriam-Webster's Visual Dictionary
Ultimate Visual Dictionary
Ultimate Visual Dictionary of Science (see a pattern here?)

BOOKS FOR WHEN I HATE MY WRITING AND MYSELF AS A WRITER

The Forest for the Trees by Betsy Lerner
The Courage to Write - Keyes
The Writer's Book of Courage - Keyes
Rotten Reviews and Rejections - Pushcart Press

PROPOSAL WRITING

Write the Perfect Book Proposal - Herman
How to Write a Book Proposal - Lerner

MARKETING

Guerrilla Marketing for Writers - Levinson et. al.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 02:00:36 AM by katsesama » Logged
Ebonyswanne
Quanto-Tobor Rep

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 10:01:25 AM »

To tell you the truth I can't make a list like that Katsesama.

I began to write only in the last year and I don't do it for a living at all. I'm learning to get better with my technique the more I write I can see that from reading over earlier stories and improving the grammar in them since I have learned more from TJ and other fantastic writers along the way.

"Between the lines" has been helpful, and its good to read a book that made me feel that I do know a few things.

I've worked in areas that deal just with people in the service and sales area. (Women's Lingerie was my last job...I laugh when I read what people write about the birdies shopping for lingerie... since I managed a store and I've seen everything in that area...catching a couple in the fitting room...ahhh making love....mmm now thats a Condor move!  I told then to leave the store...and sent the Lingerie to head office marked as used items LOL...)

But I learn everything I want to know from reading lots of books.

I've had no money for Uni courses, ( We all have different paths to lead, thats what makes the world an interesting place to live in. ) So if I want to learn about something badly enough I borrow books and I read obsessively until I understand the topic and then I read some more on it. ( I mainly read history books, and especially about people in history and what makes them tick. I'm fascinated by it. And I find the best plots have already been played out in life by real people. All we need to do is add the other elements to make a story. ) Writing is so new to me, I'm a green hand in all areas of it really. So I'll learn from the masters, people who have succeeded at it, and up and coming masters too, I have much to learn! : )  I don't say that because I'm insecure, its just what is...is.

I'll have a look for some of the books you suggested, they could come in handy... I go to library once a week, so I'll look em up!

My original universe I really love it, I've built it from ideas I've had for years, and the parts of the story too. It's about perception.
THE BOOKS FOR WHEN I HATE MY WRITING AND MYSELF AS A WRITER....MMM... I had a few weeks of that about two months ago... then I made myself snap out of it. You have an extensive library!

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 07:02:45 AM by Ebonyswanne » Logged
Ebonyswanne
Quanto-Tobor Rep

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 07:05:59 AM »

Katsesama.

I've been looking up the titles of some of the books that you recommended.  some aren't available here, but some are. It looks like I"ll have to do some more reading!! I can always learn more....

I would never have thought that you'd hate yourself as a writer! You always come across so confident.
Lenuics09
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 12:51:03 AM »

I searched to see if anyone had started this thread, but I didnt see one. 

I love, love, love to read, and books are always on my Christmas lists.  Im wondering what your favorite books of the year have been so far.  I enjoy both fiction and non-fiction.
Julieann
Administrator
Gatchatot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 09:30:24 PM »

I think most writers go through stages where they think their writing is horrible and they are pretend hacks thinking they can write. I certainly go through that stage a few times during both the rough draft stage and the revision stage. But I refuse to let it destroy my forward momentum (or at least, I try). Knowing where to go to get inspiration to give yourself the encouragement to keep going is important. Katsesama, I'll have to look into a few of the books you mentioned. Thanks for putting up the list.

Julieann

Who needs a Gun when you have a Sonic Boomerang?
Lenuics09
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 09:43:14 PM »

Hi everyone,

Tell me... what are youre favorite articles about raw food, holistic health, self-help or anything else health related? Can you post links to those articles. Id love to read them

Thanks
Gatchaman Fanfic Archive  |  Discussion  |  Original/Other Fandoms (Moderators: cathrl, Dei, Veronika)  |  Favorite Writerly Books? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to: