Gatchfanfic.com
Fanfic Home * Fanart Gallery * Fandom Forum * Writing Reference * Live Chat * Links * Login * Logout * Register
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

March 29, 2024, 05:15:50 AM
gfxgfx
gfxgfx

Our site has another feature! Click here in the forum on the "Chat" button to be taken into a live chat area. This chat supports all major browsers, no need for special software to connect. Have fun!
gfxgfx

gfx* Home Help Search Login Register ChatMembers in chat: gfx
Gatchaman Fanfic Archive  |  Discussion  |  Fanfic Discussion and Writing (Moderators: cathrl, Dei, Veronika)  |  Past Shaping Writing Influences 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Past Shaping Writing Influences  (Read 13146 times)
Julieann
Administrator
Gatchatot

View Profile WWW
« on: April 20, 2008, 04:21:32 PM »

A post on another forum brought a memory to me. All of us are shaped by our past on what style and POV we write our fanfic from. What is yours, good or bad?

Bad:
A teacher assignment in 6th grade to write a 5+ page story in first person POV where you were forbidden to start a sentence with the word "I". ARGH! Pretty much turned me off of ever wanting to write in that POV ever again (although I do admire those who can do it). Sad

Good:
8th grade, while on correspondence school in Alaska, and I get a story sent back much later than usual with a fantastic grade. The teacher handwritten note attached said, "Sorry I was late in returning this but we were passing it around the teachers lounge. Everyone loved the humor and descriptions!" And I had been concerned about the story, because I knew I was writing similar to how I 'talk'!  Shocked

Next?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 04:23:16 PM by Julieann » Logged

Julieann

Who needs a Gun when you have a Sonic Boomerang?
Lord Als Sinc [de Alter]
Fan Flunkie

The Wanderer Beyound

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 06:02:31 PM »

Well, here are the mine... Since I'm new here and nobody knows who am I, I wonder if it will be interesting for someone, but I couldn't not to post something on this topc ^_^

Bad: My first public experience. It was back in 2000 and it was a Gatchaman fic, by the way. I was 10-years-old then and my writing was on border of teriifying, but I was as naive as little kids usually are and thought it was the best thing in the world. I published it into the Russia Internet (A-a, don't ever try and find it, or the thing will consume your brains). I was tore apart by the comments, of course, but that was just the thing that made me writing better Bang Head The conclusion is: the bad is always a good-covered good ^_^

Good: Probably none... From the very first and unique publication of mine I never posted any piece of work at the Net, so I can't say which was the best of my experience as a writer. I believe it's still somewhere waiting for me ahead.

So, that's my sins and my virtues. Thank for your attention, Ladies and Gentlemen ^_^
(Dives back to the Grand Network, the gate closing back after him)

--
We'll live and see, in case we're gonna live. - Sinc
Amuse the reality, and it will amuse you as well! - Sinc again
Springie
Quanto-Tobor Rep

I am a wife, mother of two, a former Third Grade t

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 09:02:21 PM »

You know, i guess I don't have enough writing experience to have the good, the bad, or the ugly...my english teacher in 8th grade loved my journal...she said it was very entertaining...whatever that meant.

My writing was always meticulously picked apart in school...I got decent grades, but I don't recall anyone calling attention to my writing in any way.

I've had alot of great feedback in my fanfic, though, and I feel as though I am learning a great deal from everyone. However, I find that I much prefer drawing to writing...so I tend to leave fics hanging lately and go for the pics! *ducks from Transmute Jun*   Big Grin
Ebonyswanne
Quanto-Tobor Rep

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 08:49:49 AM »

Lord Als I sorry to hear your fanfic got picked apart like that, at ten years old its a bit harsh.

I kinda answered this on another site, but I didn't break it down..

Good; I could do history essays very well at high school, if you asked me to do maths..mmm, next! I have had some good critiques with my fanfic, and some pointers on doing better in that area as well. My spelling and grammar have always been a challenge-thats why I started writing in the first place. Gradually its getting better. I have had some good like experiences, not through traveling. Just everyday challenges, and at times very emotional and heartbreaking.

Bad; when I start writing fanfic I had no idea what a beta reader was! I would just go into the Gatch/BOTP sites and read the stories that got my attention. I have hardly been writing a for a year, so I need to do more to get better... is that bad?? No I don't think so. My husband couldn't understand it for ages, he even asked me to stop writing at one point, he was making it difficult for me to keep going. (I love him very much, just so you all know.) I told him I have an unfinished half posted story, and I wasn't going to leave it just siting there, Damn it!!!. :glare:Ebony stamped her foot even!!! (Like a little kid and it felt good! )

Good stuff: Now he accepts my new hobby, I think its because he likes my new friends HugLove TJ,Springie,CD, Hino,GG... and there are more.
Springie
Quanto-Tobor Rep

I am a wife, mother of two, a former Third Grade t

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 08:08:44 PM »

Awww, Ebony, and we are so glad to hear that! See? Your hubby met TJ and decided that we all must not be that bad!  Frustrated Eyebrow

And you keep getting better with both your fics and your pics! Keep it up, baybee!  Clap
Julieann
Administrator
Gatchatot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 12:59:44 AM »

Practice,  Practice,  Practice

Edit, Edit, Edit

Proof, Proof, Proof

Beta Reader! :whistle: Over here!

Big Grin

Julieann

Who needs a Gun when you have a Sonic Boomerang?
Ebonyswanne
Quanto-Tobor Rep

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 03:35:00 AM »

I know what a beta is now!!! I have one that makes me look objectively, but in a way that encouraging.

Yes Springie when he met TJ and her DH, he realized it wasn't a strange underground cult full of weird people...shhhhh he doesn't need to know the truth!!!  Cool
Katharine
Cannon Fodder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 12:56:54 PM »

Practice,  Practice,  Practice...Edit, Edit, Edit...Proof, Proof, Proof

Beta Reader! :whistle: Over here!   Big Grin

You took the words right out of my mouth...err, mind, keyboard...you know what I mean.

It was sometime in the middle of college when I discovered the necessity and invaluable worth of a good editor.  I'm very lucky to have the one who's been covering my stuff for the past ten years.
Ebonyswanne
Quanto-Tobor Rep

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 05:07:32 AM »

It is good to have someone to bounce off....the ideas grow from talking to someone who understands your style.
Grumpy Ghost Owl
Fan Flunkie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 01:21:17 PM »

I feel that my writing is shaped a lot by my reading.

The Good    Grin
Irony, dry humour. I love the works of Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams and AA Milne. I like sympathetic, complex characters who are good, but not necessarily nice, like Granny Weatherwax, Marvin the Paranoid Android, Eeyore and of course Severus Snape. They do the right thing but they don't have to like it!

The Bad   Mad
Teen angst gets on my wick. I hate teen angst. I saw on a forum at another fandom that someone was deeply offended by the term, 'teen angst.' Now, there's a prime example of teen angst. I also find characters who do naughty, bad, evil and nasty things for no reason other than plot requirement irritating. 'Just because' was an adequate reason for me to eat my Brussells sprouts when I was two. I like Brussells sprouts, as it happens, so you're going to have to do better than that, now.

The Ugly   Say What?
Song fics. By all that is holy, WHYYYYYYYYYYYY?

I suspect it has something to do with teen angst. Particularly if Evanescence is involved. WHYYYYYYYYYY?

The topic   Eyebrow
So, given the influences, I tend to focus on characters and try to give them good reasons (not necessarily excuses) for what they do, and I like my good guys just a little bit bad. I try not to wallow in angst because it gives me a headache, and if I ever write a song fic, unless it's for something like Monty Python's Idiot Song or They're Coming to Take me Away you'll know I've officially gone certifiably insane. (As opposed to merely harbouring suspicions.)

Ironically, I wrote my first fanfic after reading a gosh-awful wallowing teen angsty piece of absolute rubbish on Lori's old archive (I won't name the author although she's no longer around) and figured I could do better than that. It was most encouraging. (I never said I was a nice person.)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:26:29 PM by ghost owl » Logged

You don't have to be crazy to do this, but if you aren't, you may feel left out.
Ebonyswanne
Quanto-Tobor Rep

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 03:27:27 AM »

Ironically, I wrote my first fanfic after reading a gosh-awful wallowing teen angsty piece of absolute rubbish on Lori's old archive (I won't name the author although she's no longer around) and figured I could do better than that. It was most encouraging. (I never said I was a nice person.)

Could you tell me who the author is? It might be a story worth reading since I'm just a sucker for those wallowing angsty teen fics.... Smile
Grumpy Ghost Owl
Fan Flunkie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 09:20:50 AM »

Could you tell me who the author is? It might be a story worth reading since I'm just a sucker for those wallowing angsty teen fics.... Smile

I'm comfortable saying I've read an unspecified fic on another site and that I thought it was rubbish -- no doubt a lot of people think my stuff is rubbish -- but I wouldn't go so far as to humiliate the author on a forum. What did she ever do to me to deserve that? It's a moot point in any case as the fic is no longer up on the net. I'm sure that if you look hard enough on the world wide web, you'll be able to find something execrable enough to suit your purposes.

You don't have to be crazy to do this, but if you aren't, you may feel left out.
Ebonyswanne
Quanto-Tobor Rep

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 06:24:18 AM »

Just jokes...  Wink

I wouldn't actually expect that you would publish the name of the author here in a forum, its not something I would do either.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:29:49 AM by Ebonyswanne » Logged
cathrl
Mecha Attack Survivor

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 07:17:35 PM »

The first fanfic I ever read in the Battle world was Jane Lebak's "Liars". It took me a while, and a lot of other reading, to persuade myself that I wasn't going to completely humiliate myself by posting anything I'd written.

And then I went over to Thunderbirds, and did the exact same thing again, only with Samantha Winchester's "Secrets and Lies".  Bow

Memo to self: when reading in a new fandom, pick something with an illiterate summary to read first...
Ebonyswanne
Quanto-Tobor Rep

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 11:22:10 AM »

Cathrl...

I guess an author has to start from some where. I see what you mean by what you said in your post...
that person could be the gold waiting to be found...(for me, I'm hopeless at summaries.)

You know I spent a lot of time reading stories in Gatchaman and BOTP before I ever thought to write a single story. But if a story stuck then it was the emotions and plot that affected more than anything else they could have done to perfect it that made me print it so I could read it again and again....

So I figure thats my influence...anyone who dare to write a story than made me feel deeply...made me think... made me want to read more even when the story finished.

I take in what people say to me about writing a better story, how else can you improve, but I'm more obsessed by the plot and making it something worth reading.

I have my favourite authors, and it because of them that I write anything... Thanks, you know who you are. (I'm on the out look for newbies too.)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 11:25:56 AM by Ebonyswanne » Logged
Gatchaman Fanfic Archive  |  Discussion  |  Fanfic Discussion and Writing (Moderators: cathrl, Dei, Veronika)  |  Past Shaping Writing Influences « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Jump to: